Introduce yourself

Hi, i am a Web Developer and gamer, my dream was make games since a kid and that why i started in software development, currently i work building mobile and web apps with JS/TS using Ionic and Angular.

I was looking for a Game Engine for my Game Studio and PlayCanvas fits in what i was looking for.

5 Likes

Hello you! I’m Albert, 29 years old and live in the Netherlands. In free time i try to learn programming by making my own games. I started with Unity and C# but for my mobile boardgame i discovered PlayCanvas and started to learn JavaScript. My new project is a top-down stealth game. Let me know what you think!

6 Likes

Hi, I’m Tomas, a game developer from the Czech Republic. I spent last 6 years developing 2D mobile web games in Phaser and Typescript. A few weeks ago our company has decided to switch to 3D games. I spent a week with ThreeJS, a week with BabylonJS and the last week with Playcanvas. I have to say Playcanvas is far the most accessible 3D game engine with enough features for web games. I like the editor, it’s perfect for beginners and it helped me to understand a lot of things about the engine and API. Also, it allows me to immediately make small prototypes and test things without creating complex offline projects. I like the API, it’s clean, well documented, easy to understand and there are a lot of official tutorials. Unfortunately I really do not like javascript. I came from the world of C++/C# and javascript code is a complete mess for me. Fortunately Playcanvas also has definitions for Typescript and can be used as an engine alone which is absolutely enough for me. So, I’d like to thank the Playcanvas team for their great work.

6 Likes

Hi @NokFrt and welcome to the forums! I’d say I very much share what you feel about Javascript versus Typescript.

For smaller projects, like prototypes and demos, we will use Javascript, for the sake of simplicity but for bigger projects we will most likely go with Typescript. We’ve developed a small extension and command line tool that you can install to easily synchronize your local codebase with your online Playcanvas project.

That is a great fit for a Typescript based project, since you can now use it with the editor as well.

It is free to use, in beta right now but works quite well for us:

And here are some instructions on how we usually setup TS for Playcanvas editor dev:

5 Likes

Hi! I’m a guy who likes game development, I played with PlayCanvas (haha) awhile back but my cousin started WebGL, I got/get frequently stuck with my OpenGL project, and need something to do while I wait for an epiphany (or a Stackoverflow response). PlayCanvas is pretty awesome from what I remember, and JavaScript will be a breath of fresh air from all the C++ I’ve been doing. I’m looking forward to breaking shaders and stuff here! XD

4 Likes

I am a professional freelance Playcanvas developer, I develop all kinds of games in the Playcanvas 3D engine.
Feel free to contact me at:
Mustafa.Ali.developer@gmail.com

4 Likes

My name is Alexander Emeliyanov, but everyone calls me Alex :slight_smile: I am in my late 30-s, and currently live in Estonia. Coming from IT service industry (outsourcing project management, software design and developemnt, etc). Love video games and programming in JS. Tyring to make my first game here, on Playcanvas. Fantastic engine! )

3 Likes

Hello Alex, it’s a pleasure meeting you on here. I also have been working on a few games with @Werdie_Alt and what I can say is that PlayCanvas is one of the best WebGL engines you’ll ever find.

2 Likes

I will be referred to as John Doe. I’ve been becoming interested in game design and I’m a musician. I play keyboard, guitar, bass, and a little drums. I know a bit of javascript (basic objects stuff like that).

2 Likes

Nice! Welcome to PlayCanvas. You can make many great things on PlayCanvas. There’s also VR, which I’m going to check out later. Hope you have a good time here.

2 Likes

yeah playcanvas is to place to be in 2020 for gamedesign you can create anything you can imagine from fps shooting games to rpg simple games

1 Like

Hello
I’m Shae I’m a novice at this. I am not sure what to do. I’m mainly trying out a new hobbie

2 Likes

Basically, you can create games here, with Javascript. I’ve created a few games on here before, and it was pretty easy. You just gotta learn the basics. Of course, that;s what the forum is for.

1 Like

Hi. I like to YEET (and code)

1 Like

Took you long enough to introduce yourself. Welcome to PlayCanvas, you can code great games here.

1 Like

Hi I’m Roman. one of the first 12 year old Front End game developers in the world who can code fluently in more than 2 programming languages :slight_smile:. have a good day

2 Likes

Sup, and same.

1 Like

Hi, everyone. I’m John. I’ve been doing frontend dev for 25 years. Design for 28 as well as other media. I cofounded a successful (probably pre-covid) agency in Chicago 11 years ago that does custom end to end web and mobile apps. It’s about 35 people, highly skilled, wearing cool glasses; they crush it.

I’ve personally done 3d and AR using Unity, some three.js, but I’m very interested in using PlayCanvas to create AR minigames. I have a new startup that’s doing what my other agency does but specifically for small teams and entrepreneurs. I have some cool commercial projects and I’m looking for people interested in helping me do those projects as well as just meet cool technologist/nerds like myself.

Great to virtually meet all of you and wishing you all are healthy and self-sheltering nicely.

http://eightbitstudios.com
http://unicornroad.io

3 Likes

Hello and welcome! I think PlayCanvas is a wonderful program to work with! Maybe I am not as experienced as you, but if I can help you with something please let me know through the forum!

2 Likes

Welcome @UnicornRoad! I’m interested to see how you get on with PlayCanvas’ new AR support (courtesy of the WebXR integration done by @max). Feel free to submit any feedback/feature requests/bug reports on that. :smile:

2 Likes