PlayCanvas Editor Feedback

I love you guys!
Everything I want is just there… and working :smiley:

1 Like

Can entity selection time be improved? It takes over a second to switch between selected entities on a simple scene like this:

It takes considerably longer with more complex objects and scenes to the point of being quite annoying because of how sluggish it is.

From a brief overview of the execution I’d say the DIY approach to everything inside the editor, although somewhat admirable and definitely really fun, is biting you guys in the ass ^^. The clearPanel itself takes already way too much time for the editor be be responsive and that’s mostly just the DOM stuff and event unbinding. The rest, which is what happens when those emits fire is actually even more troubling since it spirals into about a bazillion calls ._.

Hi! Yeah we are aware of this, it used to be OK but as we kept adding more and more components it became worse. We have it in our roadmap to improve this though, thanks for reporting!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Error with audio context

When I create new script assets from the main editor, they don’t show up in either the main editor or the code editor until I reload the page.

There is a known issue where if you leave the Editor unused for a significant time (it normally happens when the Editor tab is deactivated or your computer is in sleep mode), it can lose the connection to the server and silently fail to recover the connection. This means you can make changes in your scene but they won’t be reflected until you refresh the Editor. Examples are things like creating new folders/scripts/etc. It’s on our list. But yes, if you ever perform an operation in the Editor and something doesn’t happen as you would expect, a refresh normally fixes it.

1 Like

I think, there is a bug when you move object from one parent to another parent. After I moved an object, it’s position and rotation have changed, depending on parents transform, but scale has stayed the same.

Thanks Will. That sounds like what happened.

We’re having issues with the sprite editor. It appears that if you close the editor after viewing the contents of an atlas and then open it again, all the information is gone and it shows a blank image background and no frames or sprite assets. You have to refresh the browser to get the information back or select and view a different atlas before returning to the one that was previously opened. That really freaked out our designer :smile:

Sounds like maybe you got disconnected? If you consistently have this bug can you open a new thread and post some details about it? Thanks!

Hi! Would be great if the code editor autocomplete was case insensitive, either by default or through editor’s preferences.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve logged this in our feature request database. :smile:

I’m telling you guys, you need a better way to organize projects!

Right now it’s just a long ol’ list of em lol.

Being able to view & edit world coordinates in the editor would be nice. Right now the text input displays/edits only the local coordinates

Having an imported multiplayer system would be nice that way developers wont hhave to do so much coding and use up alot of megabits.

How 'bout something simple like a list view (text) instead of having a choice of only small or large icons along that show truncated file names. I’m getting REALLY tired of hunting for my item by hovering over icons to get the full file name. Isn’t a simple text listing one of the most basic ways to show files/entities?

Code Editor - A shortcut to jump to a line number. Such as CTRL + G in VSCode

Editor - Unlit lighting mode. If I have a dark-lit game it’s useful to have an unlit mode in the edtior to view models, etc. clearly.

In the meantime you can just add a Directional Light that doesn’t cast shadows and toggle it on/off as needed.

Is the PlayCanvas Editor opensource?