How fbx import preserves the original hierarchy?

The fbx model I imported from 3dmax has only the outermost file. I want to edit the child nodes. For example, if a whole car is imported, I want to edit the wheels separately. However, his child nodes are not displayed at present. Please ask me How to solve this problem, thanks

Hello @Rex! As far as I know it is currently not possible to do this in the editor. But you can try to access te child entities by script. You can use this.entity.findByName(“child name”) in the script added to the parent.

The editor only shows entities but it does add the models child nodes as graph nodes. These can be referenced in code by findByName / using the children.

We are considering changing this so we do show/import the child nodes as entities.

1 Like

We have this on our roadmap and plan to start working on it perhaps 1 month from now. The first step is to release our Templates (AKA Prefabs) feature to everybody. Then we can start importing FBX files as Template assets instead of Model assets. Template assets will show the whole original FBX hierarchy. So yes, bear with us a little while longer and you’ll see this feature a little down the road.

3 Likes