Engine Release: v1.62

Engine v1.62.0 has been released. Release notes:

To stay updated on engine development, hit Watch on the repo. Support us by hitting Star too! :smiley:

8 Likes

Initial WebGPU support lands in PlayCanvas Engine 1.62! :rocket:

:stopwatch: Faster model parsing
:package: Physics raycasting filtering
:joystick: Extended gamepad API
:lady_beetle: Lots of bug fixes!

Release Notes: Release v1.62.0 ¡ playcanvas/engine ¡ GitHub
Clustered Area Lights Demo: Area Lights Demo

WebGL engine refactored and ready for the future of web graphics! PlayCanvas introduces WebGPU support for faster and more immersive 3D experiences.

Learn more in our latest blog post!

“Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan '71” (https://skfb.ly/6QVZt) by Barbo is licensed under CC BY 4.0

3 Likes

Congratulations!

I just tried the sample on Chrome Canary 114.0.5687.0 and it kept failing to switch to WebGPU, even though the flag was enabled.

I am quite sure WebGPU is supported, as my own coding works without problems.

Regards

Not all examples work on WebGPU yet, and they simply fallback to WebGL… for example the particle system examples (on your screenshot) is an example of that.
Try for example shapes as the simplest one, that works on WebGPU. More than half do.

1 Like

Thanks, I should have tried a bit more.

Thank you guys for so much work involved!
Was able to run it in Canary on M1 Air, but resolution is low in Ultra (compared to WebGL Ultra where resolution is 2x). Is it a bug or a feature? :slight_smile:
Also adding a dropdown selection between WebGL and WebGPU where it’s possible would be useful. That and FPS counter, since it’s a benchmark :tada:

That’s interesting. WebGPU should be locked at the native res (maxPixelRatio is not yet implemented). Can you share a screenshot please?

I will talk to the team about the other requests. The demo is more for showcasing area lights long term that has WebGPU support rather than a benchmark.

We plan on adding more features in the future :slight_smile:

Sure! maxPixelRatio always shows 1, changing it doesn’t affect anything

In which case, for some reason your Canary Chrome has a max window.pixelDeviceRatio of 1 :thinking:

For our WebGPU implementation, it currently only uses the window.pixelDeviceRatio value

Oh sorries, pixel ratio is actually 2 on Ultra, but resolution is still low :melting_face:
Switching between Default and Ultra changes pixel ratio but doesn’t change rendered resolution

Yeah, that’s because on WebGPU, PlayCanvas doesn’t support changing maxPixelRatio yet.

Not sure on this one tbh, @mvaligursky may know more but he is OOO for a bit

1 Like

this has been patched to 1.62.1: Release v1.62.1 ¡ playcanvas/engine ¡ GitHub

1 Like

Patched to 1.62.2: Release v1.62.2 ¡ playcanvas/engine ¡ GitHub

2 Likes

@yaustar I want to try this WebGPU stuff. Where do you think I can find the project? The sample project with a chess board doesn’t seem working on iPhone (meaning it say WebGPU is not supported on my iPhone.) Since I want to try this to make something running on mobile. I want to start with a project running on mobile. This area light demo seems right thing for me. Any hint where to find the source project?

There is no WebGPU on any iOS devices yet, they have not announced the support yet. Officially it’s only released on desktop computers using Chrome browser.

You can manually enable it on (some) Android devices yet, but not officially released.

Source project PlayCanvas 3D HTML5 Game Engine

There’s a readme that is slightly outdated now but should get you moving in the right direction. As Martin said, WebGPU is not supported in all browsers yet so this won’t work on iOS