Cannot find child entity of parent "Root" - Editor error, can't delete entities

That has the scene id, I need the project id to add myself to the project. Please post the URL to the dashboard

https://playcanvas.com/project/961730/overview/casa-embrujada

Is it this one?

This has been fixed for you @Natalia_Quinde

I also noticed that you were out of storage so I added an extra 1GB

Ok thank you very much

I know this sounds dumb but I need someone to fix it for me, my school computer has things disable like the browser dev console, so if someone can fix it for me, the project is PlayCanvas | HTML5 Game Engine

@Nicholas_Taylor1 This has now been fixed for you using this method that doesn’t need the dev console

Thank you, you’ve saved my game.

Cheers and very many thank yous
------Nicholas

• Make a checkpoint
  • Branch off the checkpoint
  • Switch to the new branch
  • Merge the branch immediately back to the original

Hello there! I tried following this but it didn’t seem to work. It’s only my second time using Playcanvas and I’m really lost on what to do… Please help! [PlayCanvas 3D HTML5 Game Engine]

@kpaligsa I can’t see the issue in your project. Do you still need help?

@yaustar So it looks like this issue has hit one of my projects. I add a piece of fence and then it occurred when I moved the fence near the pumpkinTall. I have not been very successful and hoping you can recover this for me.

This is a backup I made when it happened.
https://playcanvas.com/project/1002406/overview/halloween-jauntback

This is the link I am trying to recover.
https://playcanvas.com/project/999242/overview/halloween-jaunt--remix

Having a hard time restoring my project following the instruction above. I hope you will be able to help.

Edit: I have been able to recover using the merge back method above.
PlayCanvas 3D HTML5 Game Engine

The other is the original and I see a lot of differences in the merge. Please have a look but I now have forward motion again.

This is the only change I see in the merge and that’s expected as it’s removed the orphaned entity

@yaustar I will have another look.
Update: I did have a further look at this and got everything restored. Thanks for looking at it for me. I assume that the links I sent didn’t help nail down a future solution for this?

We have a repro for this in the following ticket: Scene corruption where an Entity will have the same child listed twice in the Editor data · Issue #758 · playcanvas/editor · GitHub

We aren’t sure if this is the only cause of the issue though

The main issue with this is by the point people get the error message, it’s too late. We would need the steps leading up to the issue itself.

@yaustar Thank you for the information. I will watch for this to occur again and hopefully catch some more data since I have experience the occurrence.

I did all the steps and was able to fix my project… but I can no longer reparent an entity…

I was thinking maybe if I tried doing it the dev console way It would fix the problem but I can’t do it that way because It’s blocked on my school computer…

Help? I have to submit my project for a make-a-game contest at school after this month!
I don’t want to publicly put out the link to my project yet but for anyone that can help me I’ll send the link to you privately.

DM it to me and the branch that you are on/has the issue

1 Like

:+1: ok

Confirmed it’s not an Editor/Scene corruption issue

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Cannot duplicate entities - Editor says ‘Error saving changes’