WebAR World Tracking

Hi guys,

So I’ve tried the AR features on Playcanvas, but only Image tracking now is available.
But how about world tracking? Is it able to do that?

1 Like

WebXR is still WIP on browsers but if you have a compatible phone, Max has integrated this into the engine not too long ago WebXR Hit Test Module (AR picking real world geometry)

If you need something that is ready to be used by the general public, your best bet is to look into 8th Wall.

1 Like

Also, WebXR Anchors is in draft right now (means it is still not finalised specs). But its been worked on a lot, so I’m considering exposing it’s APIs too, which will allow creating Anchors.

Not sure what you mean by “image tracking” and “world tracking”. Current WebXR AR module, supports 6DoF, means it will not only rotate around but also you can move around in AR sessions.

1 Like

What he mean by “image tracking” is the need of an image or a QR code to track an objet in 3D space.

“World tracking” is a more advanced script, that can detect horizontal/vertical surface without the need of an image or a QR code. The current version of WebXR support the World Tracking.

World tracking isn’t built-in like on Android with ARCore or iOS with ARKit. You have to resort to a 3rd party like 8th Wall to do that world tracking for you. Of course with 8th Wall or any of their competitors, you have to pay and it’s not cheap. Having just done some research on this myself comparing native mobile AR and web AR, even 8th Wall’s fancy API still leads to a pretty jittery experience, nothing compared to mobile. It’s really down to the very limited capabilities in web. Hopefully, WebXR eventually makes WebAR more usable. Although, image tracking in general does seem to fair better than world tracking.

World tracking isn’t built-in like on Android with ARCore or iOS with ARKit.

I don’t have strong knowledge about how WebXR works under the hood, but I think it use the built-in system on mobile to work on every compatible devices with the API.

Having just done some research on this myself comparing native mobile AR and web AR, even 8th Wall’s fancy API still leads to a pretty jittery experience, nothing compared to mobile.

I agree on this with you. I have just done some work on 8th Wall to see the possibility of WebAR with them and it’s true, their world tracking system is not accurate and far from what we want. I’m more confident about WebXR and the combination with Playcanvas.

Although, image tracking in general does seem to fair better than world tracking.

It’s true, because a known image is a very good reference for the calibration process, position and scale detection in a computer vision system. New cameras and depth detection will make the world tracking easier on newer mobiles.