WebAR current state of affairs

Hi, I’m doing a technical outlook for a mobile AR game, web based such. What’s the current state of how that’s done technically? Would playcanvas be an option here? Can it be built working cross platform (android + iOS)?

The usecase I’m envisioning would be a user scans a QR code with the phone camera, get’s directed to a website that asks if it can use the camera - tracks that same QR code for 3D localization and then the camera stays tracked while user walks around and area of a rock formation 10x10 meters. Is that a feasible scenario?

Helpful for any tips in the right direction!

Regards
Björn

Safari doesn’t support WebXR AR yet. So you are either limited to using their AR Quick Look feature or use a library/service that runs their own AR system.

eg 8th Wall, Zappar, Variant Launcher

Hi

Oh I see. That’s a bummer. Any rumours or insight if it’s on their road map?

I’d like to avoid the user having to download an app, but I saw there was some service like Variant launcher you mentioned that make use of App clips, a feature I wasn’t aware of either. Seems to lower the threshold for users somewhat.

Unfortunately, no :frowning:

With the services I mentioned, they won’t need to install an app.

You can totally do this. Just use PlayCanvas + 8th Wall:

Or PlayCanvas + Zappar:

Thanks for the links, I’ll look into that. Not very fond of having to rely on a third party host with quite large cost subscription fees. But perhaps that’s a way to start and in a not too distant future - one could port it back to native when support for that is added to Safar/iOS?

if support is added to iOS/Safari

If you use Variant Launcher, then yes that should be relatively straightforward.

8th Wall and Zappar have their own APIs so you would need to rewrite a decent chunk to work with WebXR

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll evaluate the options.

As per my thoughs on tracking and maintaining tracking over that type of area - what’s your experience, is that too optimistic? One fallback solution could be to have a separate QR code on each rock in the formation.