Using the Editor with a specific engine version

Hi all,

I used PlayCanvas for a few years awhile back but have taken a long break. I have a project I am curious about that involves syncing multiple PlayCanvas projects, but I am a tad worried about engine changes if I insist on using the editor. I am curious if anyone has any experience with sticking to a certain version for stability while still using the editor. Is there is a way to force the editor to use an engine version of your choosing? These would be long term projects so it would be important for me to choose to update the engine, not the editor to force engine changes onto me.

Recently, I revisited some old projects that broke because of a tween api change. In a similar fashion, I noticed that playcanvas will be moving to 2.0.0 soon and that will naturally come with breaking changes as well.

I guess the crux of the issue is… I don’t want to lose the ability to use the editor on a certain project once the engine has moved on from the version I built the project in. Is there a way to avoid this? It doesn’t seem like locally running a version of the editor is possible to lock it into a certain version (according to other posts). Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile: