Texture baking from VRay

Hi,

could someone point me to a good tutorial on how to properly set up vray baked textures (which ones are needed?) and how to properly apply them in playcanvas - or explain in a reply here. I’m working in 3ds Max.

I’ve come across bits of information but nothing comprehensive really.

Thanks

Hi @Aljosa_Cebokli,

I’ve done that a long time ago for a few VRAY objects in 3ds max. The only guide that I’m aware of is the following:

https://developer.playcanvas.com/en/user-manual/graphics/lighting/lightmapping/

It’s for lightmaps but you can easily target different VRAY maps e.g. normal or ambient occlusion, bake them and use each one in the appropriate PlayCanvas material channel.

1 Like

Thanks, this is helpful. Especially gamma settings go a long way to explain why I was getting strange results.

I’m correct in guessing that this is pretty much the only way to get the more photorealistic lighting effect in playcanvas, as the native renderer seems pretty basic?

Yes, exactly, if you are looking for bouncing light and global illumination together with decent performance, that’s the way to go.

For a more basic lighting setup you can look for a dynamic cubemap that can provide image based lighting and reflections like in this scene (using a number of post effects and clustered lighting):

2 Likes

I’ve used that before. I find it a combination of baked maps and dynamic native lighting can give a nice impression of more advanced results.

1 Like