Sound files clogging up, causing crash?

I discovered with a past project that everything could run smoothly (mostly thinking about mobile here) until I added one too many sound files. I’m not talking huge mp3s, but once a few were added to the scene, it began crashing on mobile even before it could run-- straight out of the loading screen.

For my latest project, (PlayCanvas 3D HTML5 Game Engine) sound ambience and audible extras are a pretty big part of the experience. So two questions:

Am I wrong that sound files take an especially big toll on mobile? And if so, is there a workaround?

1 Like

What devices are you testing on (model number er/name) that are crashing?

1 Like

I’ve tested on a few different apple devices, mostly an iPhone 7 (which is a little old, but I want to reach as many people as possible). I’m hearing from a variety (though still a minority) of users that it is crashing on a variety of devices.

Is there a history of audio causing issues? Or am I mis-diagnosing?

1 Like

Hi @gnormanlippert!

There is a Mac/iOS Safari Positional Sound problem reported.

I have an iPhone 12 Pro myself. As far I have tested, no crash. I also have an iPhone 7 and a iPhone X. I will test it on that devices on a later moment.

2 Likes

No crash on iPhone X, though the cracking from positional sounds is still there.

1 Like

@gnormanlippert just in case to rule out a memory crash, can you try on iPhone 7 with no other browser tabs open, all other applications closed.

Crashes like that usually indicate iOS decided to kill the tab due to high memory allocation.

1 Like

Isn’t that the crackling of the burning fire in the background? :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Ahah, hope so :smiley: We had similar issues (sound glitches) on iOS for so long.

I am going to update to 15.2 to see if indeed the shipped fix, fixes it on this device. But I feel this is a different issue than the crashing here.

3 Likes

The VRAM usage is till pretty high (this is on PC)

So maybe the audio decoding is pushing over the memory limits of the browser?

3 Likes

Well hmm! I will see what I can do about that…

I tested under those circumstances and no crashy-crashy. Laggy still, but here’s a strange thing: When I turned to landscape mode, everything suddenly ran smooth as silk, despite actually showing a lot more of the environment. The buttons became almost too small to use (and the text was unreadable, of course) but that’s a surprising result, isn’t it?

Indeed it is, I can’t imagine why putting it on landscape will increase performance like that. Unless the change in the camera frustum (viewport) hid part of the scene that was expensive rendering. But I don’t think that’s the case with your scene.

@yaustar any idea?

I think you need to profile the app in both cases and compare the captures to get some answers.

1 Like

I do wonder if it’s due to some resizing logic? I do want to take another look at this :thinking:

1 Like