[SOLVED] WebAR and WebVR-Support: Collected research results + call for check and completion

I’m constantly reevaluating the possibilities for webbased VR and AR for the usage on a broad range of mobile phones. I’m currently mostly using the great marker-based solution based on the artoolkit-Library for AR and custom implementations based on the device rotation api for 3dof VR.

Testing the native WebXR-Api, I’ve encountered different behaviors, please let me know if my conclusions below are correct and if you may have anything to add (like additional external libraries for tracking)

WebVR based on the webXR-API:
iOS: not yet any support
Android:
Some devices trigger the installation of Google VR-Services. Even with that the capabilities for phones are restricted to 3dof (meaning movement hast to be implemented manually in the game engine)

WebAR based on webXR-API:
iOS: not yet any support, the best we can get is using your great example downloading usd-files for markerless single object view or marker-based tracking based on the Artoolkit Library. Here I found out, that the core library is capable of image-based tracking, which I assumed could be integrated as well into the playcanvas solution, similar to this:

Android:
Only possible on ARCore capable devices. Here also the installation of the Google VR-Service doesn’t help.

Third party services:
zappar: image based tracking and markerless tracking, without the use of device rotation api
blippar: similar to zappar (Thanks to @youstar for the info)
8-th wall: similar to zappar + object based tracking, more expansive

Yep, that looks pretty accurate to me.

There’s also Blippar that has a non WebXR solution that works on iOS too.

It’s also worth noting that the third party services don’t support XR pass through on some VR headsets (eg Quest 2 and Pro) AFAIK whereas WebXR does.

1 Like

Thanks for the Info, I’ve added blippar to the list.

There are these additional things we hope to at some point and form to add to the USDZ exporter Apple Developer Documentation

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, didn’t know that USDZ allows also for interactive & animation data.