[SOLVED] Third person jump

is there a tutorial for jumping on third person?

Hi @Unavailable,

So, you can take the default third person controller example from the Tutorials page and add jumping by binding a keyboard key (e.g. KEY_SPACE) to a method that applies an impulse upward (applyImpulse).

Search for jumping in the forum you will find a lot of similar posts.

Two things you will have to take care:

• Add a jumping animation that starts at the same time
  • Play the animation once without looping it until the character falls back to the floor or on another object (check for collision).
if (this.app.keyboard.wasPressed(pc.KEY_SPACE)) {
        if (this.jumping.state === false) {
            this.entity.rigidbody.applyImpulse(0, this.jumpPower, 0);
            this.jumping.state = true;
        }
    } else if (this.jumping.state === true) {
        if (this._checkBelow() !== null) {
            this.jumping.state = false;
        }
    }

};

PlayerMovement.prototype._checkBelow = function() {
    return this.app.systems.rigidbody.raycastFirst(this.entity.getPosition(), this.raycastPlayerBase.getPosition());
};

I’ve added this but can only jump 1 times

So, try debugging your _checkBelow method, what does it return and when does it run?

I think what you are looking for isn’t if there is a floor below the character (raycasts have infinite length) but if you are touching it. What I would do in that method is get the result of that raycast and check the distance from the object it returned. If it’s smaller than a margin it means the player is touching it.

Also you need to change the ray direction to start from the player’s position and shoot straight down:

var start = this.entity.getPosition();
var end = start.clone();
end.y -= 10; // put here any number larger than the max jump height
var result = this.app.systems.rigidbody.raycastFirst(start, end);

// now check the distance from the result, if there is one (homework!)
1 Like

thanks it worked. but why when I press SPACEBAR many times my character can jump many times like flying

Make sure that you don’t allow a second jump before the previous hasn’t finished.

thank you it worked

1 Like

@Unavailable
Is there any way you could paste the script in for this? Im trying to follow what you did but its not working.

Hi @ALEXANDER_CHRISTENSE and welcome!

Maybe the script from my example project can help you as well.

https://playcanvas.com/project/1063800/overview/basic-jumping