I think they are down right now again, or maybe it’s just me? I get this when trying to access playcanvas.com or any build links: 502 ERROR
The request could not be satisfied.
CloudFront wasn’t able to resolve the origin domain name. We can’t connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by reviewing the CloudFront documentation.
Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront) Request ID: j-BRjjCryk_UdjjsW_v3G0JldGoIs1aYMiagmSlGMpdfFbEvwfbZhQ==
Yeah, same here. It has been down for a couple of hours now. The devs say they are experiencing an AWS DNS error and are looking into it with urgency.
They’ll get it fixed, we just have to wait a bit.
I assumed as much, it’s nice to see a quick reply with some information. (I have been left in the dark for a bit) At least now I can focus on some art for my creature simulation I’ve been working on, so it all works out.
I hope that my projects and codes are safe.
is there a way to save or download project data? I’m also worry my projects…
PlayCanvas was restored around 4 hours ago. Apologies for any disruption this may have caused.