[SOLVED] How do I know which branch I'm playing from

Hi, I’m starting to work with branches now (which I should have earlier oops!). I want to be able to send a link to a coworker for them to test the project, but it looks like the slug for both branches are the same. Is there a way for me to know which branch they’ll see when I send a link? or perhaps there’s something I’m not understanding about the situation?

Thanks for your help!

Hi @Ezra_Szanton,

Are you sending a launch url to your clients? You can find the name of the active branch on the top of the viewport window, the launch window will always point to the currently selected branch for this project.

For build urls the same holds true, the branch used is the one you have active the moment you generate the build.

1 Like

I’m just sending a launch url to a coworker for them to test it on their phone. Your answer was my intuition as well, but I started second guessing myself because there didn’t seem to be any information encoded in the url that would specify which branch it was from. I may be misunderstanding how branches work because I just started using them, but to me it seems like if I’m on one branch and somebody else is on another branch. Then one of us makes a launch url and sends it to a third person. Which branch does the third person see? What is it based on?

1 Like

I was under the impression that the project has the concept of an active branch, which is selected and set as the default. I may be wrong on this though, @yaustar may be able to comment on this.

1 Like

The branch that the launch tab gets assets/data/etc from is whatever the user is currently on. You cannot send a launch tab URL to a specific branch. (To my knowledge)

In the example above, whatever branch the third user is currently on. It’s unrelated to the other 2 users.

2 Likes

Gotcha, thanks!

It actually would be really useful to be able to preview/link to individual branches in a project. For example you may have various branches with different levels of stability. RC, beta, alpha etc and it would be super useful to be able to directly link into them

Thought I had this already on the feature requests but I hadn’t: https://github.com/playcanvas/editor/issues/722