[SOLVED] Few questions regarding Mixamo

Mixamo

Hi there, I have a few questions regarding Mixamo animations/exporting,
In this example project: PlayCanvas 3D HTML5 Game Engine
Every FBX gets converted to Glb (Model element)

I have tried to upload exported fbx from mixamo and it appears as a render instead, does it depend on export mode?

In theory, all models rigged in mixamo should have more or less the same bone hierarchy, meaning I could use same anims on different models, or am I wrong? Readyplayerme avatars seem to have different namings/hierarchy

Hi @Newbie_Coder,

It’s normal to get render assets when importing an FBX, that’s how you use them with the render component.

The template that you also get is the model hierarchy and includes the bone nodes (drag and drop it to the scene).

Check this third person controller example, it includes an animated with mixamo character: PlayCanvas | HTML5 Game Engine

About the skeleton: you can reuse animations on models that use the exact same skeleton (same bones / bone names).

If you upload a model on mixamo with no skeleton, and you use the autorigger then yes, mixamo will add their own skeleton to your model. But if your model already has a skeleton (e.g. Ready Player Me) that skeleton will be used.

PS About your entity picking question can you open a new thread to keep everything easily searchable for other users?

1 Like

What about this example: PlayCanvas | HTML5 Game Engine
All characters seems to have model component instead of render, was the main file not .FBX?

In both render and model assets, the source file is always FBX converted to GLB (unless you are using the legacy .json model format).

Model component is legacy and unless you have a specific reason to use it, you should be using render instead.

1 Like

It’s all clear now, thanks @Leonidas

1 Like