[SOLVED] Cloned Spine entities at runtime are not visible

Hi PlayCanvas Devs,

I want to copy (“clone”) an entity with attached spine character at runtime.

When I clone the entity in the “Initialize” method, the spine character is visible as intended.

But when I clone the entity after the “Initialize” method (E.g. on click or in postInitialize), the spine character is not visible.

Here is a sample project: https://playcanvas.com/project/659589/overview/cloning-spines

Observe: The first Hero is cloned successfully (in Initialize), but when you click, the cloned entities don’t render their Spine components.

In addition, it throws the following warning: addComponent: Entity already has spine component

Maybe @will has some hints?

Any hints appreciated :wink:

It is because the spine is added a second time on a click.
You create a clone on initialize. At that time a clone is created without a spine properly.
However, your spine.js is loaded by the engine afterwards, because it is attached to enabled entity Hero, and it’s intitialize is fired, bringing you to your current problem.

Here is a fix:
Select your Hero entity from the Editor and disable it.
And in your code, the clone will be disabled initially too, so just enable it after cloning:

// create clone
    var clonedHero = this.originalHero.clone();
    clonedHero.enabled = true;
    this.originalHero.parent.addChild(clonedHero);

Now, since your Hero entity is disabled, the engine will not execute the spine.js attached to it automatically.

I also noticed you check your assets like this:

if (this.atlas && this.textures && this.skeleton)

You would want to check if you get a proper boolean from that. I think this way is a proper one:

if (this.atlas !== null && this.textures !== null && this.skeleton !== null)

Here is a fork

2 Likes

@LeXXik thanks a million for your help!

Disabling the entity in the editor works like a charm. Sure it is a workaround (quite error-prone and not intuitive to work/iterate on the entites) but it fixes the initial issue - which is great!

Your asset-check suggestion might interest @max @vaios or @dave - because it is part of the PlayCanvas spine plugin.

Have a nice day,
Rene