Reducing AR Jitter

When using WebAR, there always seems to be a tendency for the model to bounce around. Are there strategies one can use to minimise this? I intend to place some markers in public locations where there’s likely to be a lot of phone movement involved in viewing them. (Tried NFT but it’s too slow–I’m open to suggestions on how to make better use of that feature.)

Setting the content close to the origin where the angular changes are less amplified helps a bit. I tried higher deactivation time but it doesn’t help a lot. Does a darker matte print help maintain consistency?

How up to date is the AR template? Is it worth trying to upgrade the version of ARToolkit it uses in case of improvements, or will that break the project’s scripts?

Hi @Jimage,

So, try playing with the settings on the playcanvas-ar.js script, mainly Threshold Mode, Threshold and Tracker Resolution. Usually they can help with positional jitter:

1 Like

Nice. Adjusting the threshold made a pretty big difference. I also disabled trackAlternateFrames.

Tried some more complex coloured images for the markers and getting surprisingly good results. Pretty close to NFT, just with the added requirement of a border around the outside. Good enough for what I’m doing at the moment.

Could be too big a concession for some mural projects I have coming up in a few months but it might be possible to make it work with some strategically placed markers throughout the design.

1 Like