Random WIP Bullshittery

Realtime rendered by PlayCanvas
5 Likes

typewriterTAPCOOTW

Bullshitting around with a typing game idea :beers: :rocket:

1 Like
4 Likes

So if I understand the concept correctly you have to type the name as fast as you can? :yum:

Yeah itā€™s a typing of the dead style of game. Letā€™s see if it survives the prototyping (lel) phase :laughing:

1 Like

I get nervous just thinking about such a game. :laughing:

:beers:

3 Likes

Not pretty but procedural :green_heart:

5 Likes

Hahaha I loved all of the House of the Deads and the even cheesier spin-off Typing of the Dead! Very nice work!

2 Likes

Think I am gonna trade the 3D Walls with 2D ones. Looks more cheesy :cheese:

1 Like

1 Like

Swimming cubes, almost goodā€¦

4 Likes

@iso74 The water effect is very nice! Also @Sebastian I agree, I do really like those walls better!

Weā€™ve pretty much finished our Animal Crossing + Movie Player app! The networking is pretty solid and although Iā€™ll admit the 3D UI doesnā€™t look very pretty, it gets the job done and even works on mobile!

Next up I made a quick start to a fighting game for a game jam due in 2 weeks, so Iā€™m going to be using all the networking stuff I learned in this project for that:

My brother wants to test out a custom compiler for Unity, so Iā€™m going to be doing this one alone. Will keep you all updated, and I look forward to seeing more from all of you!

5 Likes

Testing some map mechanics. Trying to keep the level generation as simple as possible :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s looking great @Sebastian!

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to have to second that, thatā€™s looking great! I love the ā€œreverse crumblingā€ effect you added to it instead of just regular procedural level generation, itā€™s the small polish like that that really makes a feature feel complete in my opinion!

I spent this weekend learning how to use webRTC instead of just websockets alone like the last project, and the performance increase has been incredible, so Iā€™m pretty stoked about it!

I expect this fighting game to be pretty janky, but I at least wanted the networking to be fast enough for it not to be the main thing holding the game back. Since a lot of fighting game mechanics have to be almost frame perfect, peer to peer connection through webRTC was a necessary upgrade. The game still uses websockets through socket.io like the other one, but now instead of all of the message passing being done through socket.io directly, socket.io acts as a lobby/signal server before gameplay starts and the peer to peer connection is made through webRTC with simple-peer. This way the players can continuously throw their current play states at each other without as much reliance on client interpolation!

As you can see, a collision sphere is generated by a player on a certain frame as theyā€™re punching and the message is passed to the other player they have been hit if the collision occurs on the local game instance, so itā€™d be very trivial to cheat at this game as it is now. Iā€™m not too concerned about it though. Iā€™d probably do double collision checks through a headless PlayCanvas instance on the signal server or something if I was, but thisā€™ll do for a free gamejam game on itch.io! A friend of mine has suggested that it be a Sanrio fighting game, so Iā€™ll be posting an update soon with some more final art replacements for the monkeys next most likely! Will keep you guys posted, and I look forward to seeing more from you guys!

3 Likes

Hey everyone! Been real busy testing out a different workflow this week, but hereā€™s the final result of the fighting game Iā€™ve been working on:

The movement feels much more natural now, and jumping is implemented, plus all of the art is much more finalized. I also did a lot of improvement to the websocket library and the peer-to-peer connection switch, so the whole thing is pretty streamlined. I genuinely feel like it wouldnā€™t take much more work to add the remaining things like kicking, doing both while in the air, and maybe even a special move system, but all of this is in ClojureScript, and my twin brother has showed me a new workflow using Smalltalk via PharoJS, and weā€™re both pretty in love with it now hahaha

Iā€™ll most likely re-visit either this fighting game or a new one from scratch written in Smalltalk instead of Lisp. I also plan on giving an attempt at a 3D web browser in Smalltalk within the next few weeks, so Iā€™ll post that when I get a little more settled in with this new workflow.

Thanks for reading!

5 Likes