Putting multiple projects together

Was not sure if I should have listed this under “general” or “coding”

This is a long shot, but I thought I would ask. I am a middle school art teacher and am currently teaching a course on art jobs. My students just finished a unit on video game design using the playcanvas software. I am not a programmer by a long shot, but I tried my best and was able to fork other projects and was greatly helped by others in this community to get them started. Long story short, the students worked in groups to each create their games and are now asking me if there is any way we can put the games together so they are each a different level to one giant game. I didn’t think that would be possible, but wanted to reach out and see just in case.

The students had a blast with this project, brainstormed well, collaborated as a team, problem solved, overcame obstacles and created projects they were really proud of. I cannot say thank you enough for such an awesome free program, and such a great community behind it. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if this link will work for people other than me, but here are the projects they created if you’re interested in what a few 12 & 13-year-olds did ha!
https://playcanvas.com/mrsmckeon

2 Likes

Unfortunately, there’s no easy solution to merge the projects together.

As a workaround since all the projects seemed to be self contained, you could have each student project load the ‘next’ project via a URL link when the level ends. (Let’s say there’s a ‘Go to next Level’ button. Instead of loading a scene, it would load the URL to the next project).

It’s not perfect and you won’t be able to keep track of players scores, lives etc easily, but as an experience from beginning to end, it may be enough.

It be like the old days of web rings.

1 Like

That’s very exciting to hear @SarahMcKeon!

Many thanks for sharing this and the projects, delightful to see them.

That’s more than I ever thought we could do! Okay, now I’m going to be annoying and ask how you would do that. How would I create a button? Is there a tutorial I could read for this or a project I could fork off of and try and figure that out. I’m so inexperienced with coding I don’t even know what I would search for. This has been a huge learning development process for me as well haha.

Also, I don’t know if you remember, but you were one of the people that helped me out over the summer when I was trying to figure out if this would even work for my kids! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You should be able to make a button using this tutorial here: https://developer.playcanvas.com/en/tutorials/ui-elements-buttons//.

@SarahMcKeon Do you still need help?

Maybe you could make a button for each project so that students could jump to any project directly.
Also, for the next class, you might make the buttons ahead of time in an empty project (or a panel that reveals and hides the buttons with special keystrokes) and then fork this empty project for each student so that all of the kids projects will have this button interface built in from the start.

I think you meant to reply to @SarahMcKeon.