Problem with normals when using blend shapes

Hello!
Our team had a problem with normals when working with blend shapes that we created in 3D software and loaded into the engine.
We made deformations of the character’s body to customize it using blend shapes and found the following problem: when using them from 0 to 1, a problem with normals appears.
Maybe someone has encountered this problem and knows how to solve it.
The link to the project is attached below
https://playcanvas.com/project/1057041/overview/blendshapes_probl_with_normals

We seem to have problem to import normals from fbx morph targets in some cases, we have not managed to fix it, which could be the problem you are hitting.

If you have an option, export your file (from Blender or similar) as GLB 2.0, and import that to PlayCanvas Editor, that should avoid this problem.

2 Likes

It worked!
Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Hello!
We have a new problem with a GLB that we exported from Blender.
The eye-closing animation made with blend shapes doesn’t work. Do you have any idea why this is happening? We checked the GLB file through online viewers and the eye-closing animation works there but not in PlayCanvas.
Attached is a scene where there are two character file formats: fbx and GLB, where the animation works correctly in fbx.
https://playcanvas.com/editor/scene/1714532

I’ve tried the GLB source (Female_25_body_01.glb) in Babylon model viewer and can’t find an animation that makes the eyes blink. Which animation should be closing the eyes?

using a blend shape to cover the eyes.
We converted the fbx in the project to glb in Blender. and it was this glb that was tested and worked.
you can use this fbx for testing

Sorry, I’m confused on what I should be looking at.

I thought the GLB had issues where an animation that closes the eyes didn’t work in PlayCanvas? If that’s the case, what is the name of the animation?

I thought the GLB had issues where an animation that closes the eyes didn’t work in PlayCanvas?
It is exactly like this

If that’s the case, what is the name of the animation?
It’s called Key.001|Take 001|BaseLayer.glb

I checked the glb in Babylon that you used and I saw that the eye closing animation was separately loaded under the name Key.001|Take 001|BaseLayer.glb.
I wonder why and how to make it so that it animates as fbx in one idle and closed eyes
Another solution is to look for and combine them in PlayCanvas

Ah, I see it now. It’s right at the end of the animation track. Thanks!

The GLB seems fine as-is in the model viewer

The blend shapes do exist on the created model asset from the GLB source as I can change them in the viewer

And it also seems fine in the project you’ve linked to as seen here. Am I missing something?

Oh, you want to have the idle pose and the eyes animation as the same animation. It sounds like an export issue from where you export the file as GLB?

You could use animation layers to ‘combine’ the animations if you wanted to but this looks more like an export issue from Blender/Max/3D tool

Oh, you want to have the idle pose and the eyes animation as the same animation. It sounds like an export issue from where you export the file as GLB?

• most likely

Now we need to figure out how to combine them. I used Blender to export