Pro-bono help during covid-19?

I’m just popping in to see whether the PlayCanvas community might be a place to seek help making life better for my dad and his wife during the covid-19 crisis.
I would like to magically have available a simple web-based 2-player card game.
They have played an idiosyncratic double-solitaire game every night for decades. Now, at age 93, due to an untimely medical emergency, they are isolated in different wings of their assisted living/skilled nursing facility, unable to visit each other.
If they could still play their game together on their laptops via the internet it would make their separation less distressing.
I guess PlayCanvas would be a good toolset for this, but it would take me a very long time to learn enough javascript to build it myself. It may be easy enough that some expert could do it easily. Does this make any sense? Either as a true pro-bono community service to some old folks, or for some price that I could see if they would be willing to pay?

1 Like

I’m very sorry for you. This must be a hard time for you and you’re family. I would like to help, but I’m not truly experienced in making card games. You could ask someone who knows the PlayCanvas engine better, like @yaustar, @will, and maybe even @Leonidas. If you need any help with your game, or support, I’ll always be here. Also, @Leonidas is usually good at answering questions about the PlayCanvas engine, so maybe ask him for some tips on making a card game. Maybe I can help you make the game, if you could explain more details privately (I would be happy to help you completely free). You can also check if anyone already made the game you’re looking for. Please contact me if you’re interested in working with me to make this game. If you want maybe a bit more professional help, I suggest asking the forums here. Mainly, try contacting @yaustar, @will, or @Leonidas if you have a problem with the game you’re trying to make. Stay well, my friend.

- From, @DevPrime01

You might be better off with https://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/Tabletop_Simulator/ which allows you to play any card game with a bit of practise. It’s basically a physics sandbox with board game props and no rules.

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Concerning your comment about Tabletop Simulator. What person needs “a little bit of practice”? A developer who sets it up, or the actual players of the game? My dad’s dementia is far enough along that practice in something new is not feasible. He plays some online solitaire, so I think he could probably play this game if he could just click a link and have the familiar card arrangement presented and be connected by voice with his wife. Unfortunately, there is no way he could remember complex steps for getting started each time.

Players. It be as though if you had a deck of cards in front of you. So you would have to shuffle, deal, etc in a virtual world.

You could probably do some programming in the game itself to make it easier to play a particular rule set.