PlayCanvas crashing when starting game

@Devortel
Even that does not work, still getting a crash.

I have created a ticket for this to track: https://github.com/playcanvas/editor/issues/566

Any more data/information you can provide would be very helpful. eg:

• Does it happen on other browsers
  • Does it seem to happen with/after a certain project
  • Any error messages in logs (if you can get them)

I havenā€™t had it happen in other browsers, the game is currently struggeling with the other browsers then what Iā€™m normlaly using, so its not thoroughly testet.

I canā€™t find any real consistency in when its happening. But its only crashing when i press launch, and when the problem has startet not even the playcanvas loading bar will show.

I get no errors in the browser developer tool, if there is another log i donā€™t know about it.

1 Like

Another quick add, i still have not had the problem on MacOS, will update if i get it.

Iā€™m going to see if I can reproduce these issue again on my local Mac. Iā€™ve enabled logging so hoping it helps

If you are happy with logging, please use the following: Chrome Browser debug logs - Google Chrome Enterprise Help

Other ideas (if I reproduce this) is to try older version of the PlayCanvas engine and also to try to reproduce on Chrome Canary Chrome Canary features for developers ā€“ Google Chrome

Just to confirm with everyone, is this the issue that you are running into:

1 Like

More or less, I never see the Playcanvas Load screen, and i my other tabs are frozen but still remember the last frame rendered.

1 Like

Thanks, do any of you have some WASM library in the project? Ammo, Basis etc?

I had the same issue.

The project was using Ammo Wasm. What helped me on that occasion is that I removed the old Ammo folder from the project assets and imported a fresh new one.

Edit:
The trick that helped me before doesnā€™t actually work. The app keeps freezing.

@yaustar
Yes, this video is identical to what Iā€™ve been experiencing.

Same as this, the cause was the WASM files. And yes the crashing was exactly like your video.

Faced this again. After some digging, I noticed that the JS heap memory is not freed after refresh. A new tab just keeps asking for more.

1 Like

When have people been seeing this issue? Has it been over the last week or so?

For me, itā€™s been at the start of this week.

Around a week a for me or so.

Edit:
What helped me before (re-iporting Ammo) doesnā€™t actually work. Importing new Ammo Wasm doesnā€™t resolve the issue where GC fails to free the allocated memory for Wasm when a browser tab is closed.

Iā€™m struggling again with trying to get a crash :frowning:

Submitted bug to Chromium: 1257249 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail

2 Likes

@yaustar I think you can repro this by an empty project with a single script that creates a hundred or two physical spheres in a loop on initialize. If you launch it, then keep an eye on the heap, while refreshing or reopening the tab. After some tries the app will freeze.

I tried it with a fork of this project earlier today and it just wouldnā€™t crash. Heap looked fine too Creating Rigid Bodies in Code | Learn PlayCanvas

:frowning:

Started sometime last week.