Particles not rendered on Amazon Fire-Tablet HD 8

Hi everyone!

One of our customers that is deploying PlayCanvas games developed by us has reported the following very specific problem:

On the Amazon Fire-Tablet HD 8 (12th Generation) with OS 8.3.1.4 no particles are displayed (none at all).

Unfortunately, we are not able to reproduce this problem ourselves, since we don’t have this exact hardware and this problem does not occur on any of our test devices.

Have you encountered any similar problems?
Do you happen to have this hardware at hand and are able to test particle systems on it?
Do you have any pointers for us we might be able to look into?

As always, thank you very much for your help!

1 Like

I don’t believe we’re aware of problems on Fire tables at the moment. We don’t have one handy either, but perhaps some could be available in some remote device farms that could be accessed, not sure.

The only device specific issue we are aware of we have a workaround for:

I wonder if similar workaround could work in your case.

It has a Arm Mali GPU which may be the common factor here :thinking:

Confirmed on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 - Full phone specifications (M2003J15SC). Mali based GPU renders the following:

It should look like this: [FORUM] Particles Inconsistency - PLAYCANVAS

Edit: More specifically, it looks like there’s a range of Mali GPUs that don’t support GPU particles. Mali G76 is fine for example

Thanks for all the insights, that’s already really helpful for us!

What is the best way for us to proceed here?
Should we wait for a similar workaround to be deployed for those Mali GPUs, or is there a workaround we could use ourselves already?

Please don’t hesitate to let me know, if there is anything we can do to help you :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot!

I think if you change the sorting mode to Camera Distance then it would use the CPU instead for sorting, that will fix it on those devices:

2 Likes

I’m considering a workaround fix for it by disabling GPU particles with Mali GPUs but because it only affects a range, it’s a bit more difficult :thinking:

1 Like

This should make it out to patch release 1.62.1

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks so much! :heart:

This has been released in engine 1.62.1 that is now available in the Editor

2 Likes