Making Bike more "physically accurate"

Hi guys,

I am making a configurator for a bike company, I am trying to make the bike physically accurate/realism.
My 3d artist has not provided me the pbr maps ATM but he will, but regarding the maps, which maps should he focus more on and how I can guide the 3D artist regarding that?

Currently it is looking like this:

I have added the new clearcoat on the tank paint, at the moment I am just experimenting with the materials before the pbr maps arrive.

Any suggestions or tips will be appreciated!

Thanks.

The number 1 biggest problem with this project is that you haven’t baked ambient occlusion maps for the bike.

To see the difference AO maps make, check out this project and hit the TOGGLE AO button in the bottom left:

2 Likes

Hi will,

Yes I agree with you, my 3d artist is already making the maps, I ll post an update after applying the pbr maps.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey @will
Been a long time, so I thought to share the current progress, clear coat and metal Anisotropic helped alot and as you said the AO maps also made the bike alot better.
btw I have not cleaned the project up so alot of unused things in there, might take some time loading :smile:

Let me know your thoughts on this one.

1 Like

I took a look at the updated version last week - it did look improved! Nicely done. For some reason, I still found the AO maps to be a bit subtle. Something about the scene did look a little artificial though and I couldn’t quite figure out why. What are your Render Settings configured as?

Hey Will,
I have updated it, so it should be improved.

I am using this as render settings:
Hejl
Exposure 4.35
Gama 2.2

what do you think?

Looks good. Some comments:

1. The springs look fantastic (the AO maps are great):

1. Light casings don’t look very realistic:

I’d expect to see a little transparency + reflectance. A more plastic look.

1. Something about the seat material doesn’t quite look right to me. Is it supposed to be leather?

Again, feels like some realism is missing there.

1. AO maps missing from this gap between the tank and the seat?

Apart from that, looks great. :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Will for the great feedback!

Will work on those and keep you updated :slight_smile:

Also big difference makes CubeMap that you use. Some makes it look like shot in studio, others can make it look as standing somewhere outside in iconic scene.
So feel free to experiment with that, it really changes a look a lot.

Another thing, is that in reality, nothing is perfectly clean, so giving some variation to glossmaps, can bring a bit more realistic look to it.

Panel screen, can be made with emissive channel on material, so it will look LED/OLED.

And other very important thing to look at, is a download size. Currently it downloads 24Mb before it is interactive. For commercially successful configurators, this should be way way lower. Ideally around 6Mb for initial load, and async load the rest while user can already interact.

What to do to optimize:

1. Your models looks live very high-poly. Reducing it will not reduce the visual quality much. So try to keep it as low as possible while preserving details. Also, remove any triangles that are not seen from the model, like bolts that are somewhere inside, or triangles that are under seat (partly), removing as much as possible also improves your UV for AO and other textures, so you can save on texture space/size. This also improves performance.
  2. Textures, you have crazy big “loading screen” texture, also some other textures are in question, like AO map for screws for seat? Do you really see those screws anywhere? Some textures are way too large, some can be tiled better.

For real-time web rendering, models should be optimized from high-poly (CADs), to low-poly, similar what used on Console games or PC games. Not as low as mobile platforms though.

Great job so far!

4 Likes