Lavafloor Open Beta

Hey everyone, I’m here to show you lavafloor.io. Over the last 30 days I have been putting a lot of my spare time into creating this game. It is the first game I created that I am actually able to share with the world.

LavaFloor is a fast paced king-of-the-hill style game that requires you to keep moving to avoid falling in the lava. Collect coins to climb the leaderboard and collect powerups to push other players around.

As this is my first game I’m looking for a lot of feedback.

Technical feedback I am looking for includes:

• How does the game run in your current browser.
  • Was there any crashing? If so, what was the error?
  • Is the ping crazy high?
  • Does anything in the game feel glitchy? ex. the lava moving or player movement.

Gameplay feedback I am looking for:

• How does the movement feel?
  • What are your thoughts on tile breaking mechanic? What do you think of the time it takes for the tile to be destroyed?
  • Is the powerup any good? What can I do to improve it?

All feedback is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for helping me with the release of my first game.

Also I created a twitter for my game development @ryynosaur_dev and I thought it might be a good idea to have a place people can discuss the game on reddit! What ways do you try to reach out?

Congrats! This is a great achievement for just 30 days. :grinning:

• How does the game run in your current browser.

60FPS solid (Chrome on Win10)

• Was there any crashing? If so, what was the error?

No, not once after maybe 15 minutes play.

• Is the ping crazy high?

~80 on average (super fast office connection)

• Does anything in the game feel glitchy? ex. the lava moving or player movement.

No, feels fine. The first time I played, the block moved as expected. However, I just played again and the block no longer moves Not sure what has changed there!

• How does the movement feel?

I’m not sure how I feel about the ‘press key to move 1 space’ mechanic. It can be a bit frustrating and sometimes prone to annoying error. I was thinking more of a Pac-man style ‘move in a direction until the user changes it’.

• What are your thoughts on tile breaking mechanic? What do you think of the time it takes for the tile to be destroyed?

It’s good. But there weren’t really enough people in the game when I was playing to make it fun.

• Is the powerup any good? What can I do to improve it?

It wasn’t clear to me what the powerup does. From what you write, I guess I can nudge other players off the map. Sounds fun, but I needed more players in there with me.

I’d suggest organizing play test sessions with a group of players to get better feedback.

Thanks for the feedback Will!

Thank you for pointing this out, I was able to pin point the problem after going back into game repeatedly. Looks like it was a problem with my server-side code.

I agree this is something that needs improving. I’ll have to find a way to better explain what the powerup does.

question, i am trying to set up a coin collection system. how did you do it?