Hey! I have been playing around with an isometric grid and here is what came out.
Let me know if this is useful to someone, I am thinking in polishing the project for release and writing a small tutorial series on how to reproduce this.
- Level is created in Photoshop using GameMap generator (cool plugin!)
- Three types of assets are exported using simple batch actions:
a. Trimmed asset
b. Untrimmed asset, for extracting positions using image bounding box
c. Untrimmed collision asset, for extracting collision polygons
- Level loader parses the assets, extracts positions, bounding boxes and collision polygons and recreates the level with the exact layering found on Photoshop.
- Object sorting script handles the z-index sorting of the player model based on its world position, image bounding box and collision polygon(TODO handle player’s height when sorting gracefully).
- A weight grid is created to be fed on a a-star pathfinding algorithm (buggy, due to incorrect point-in-polygon implementation)
- Simple pixel shaders for animating trees, grass and the chimney smoke.
- Simple light and shadows animation for creating mood presets.