Is it possible the texture compression servers need some encouragement?

My compression job has been running for much longer than is usually should. And, I’m unable to cancel the compression tasks, which normally is available (by unselecting the checkboxes and clicking on ‘COMPRESS’ again).

The job has quite a few 4K textures, but nothing larger…I know that can cause problems.

We will take a look at this. It shouldn’t take this long.

I’ve just tried it myself, and texture compression on both Basis and Legacy seem fine. Can you post one of the asset ids of the textures that are ‘stuck’?

Thanks @yaustar, it finally got though the job. But, it took hours! …I was up late last night.

Do you still want to see a sample texture? I can send one.

Yes please, it be useful to see if there’s something in particular about the texture that took it hours.

We will also be releasing Basis compression veeeery soon :shushing_face:

1 Like

Actually, it looks like the UI is in-place now, for Basis compression vs Legacy. I’ll find one of the textures and share it.

Ah, you missed the announcement yesterday :grimacing: Basis Texture Compression arrives in the PlayCanvas Editor! 🚀

I spoke with the team @Cain_Quigley and it basically comes down to the dimensions and legacy format you want to convert. DXT is the fastest but PVR, ETC are just REALLY slow for large textures.

I’ve tried the textures with Basis and its light years faster relatively. If you can switch to Basis, I would recommend trying it and checking the quality meets your needs.