iPhone get very hot when render the scene

we use playcanvas to develop a 3D game,when render the same scene,Iphone get very hot in about 1 - 2 minutes,while android phones do not cause this issue. Why and how should i do ? thanks

That is likely a problem with the iPhone. This may be happening because it’s not cooling correctly or because you’re in a hot room.

That’s fairly normal, the back of the iPhone is one giant heatsink and you are rendering a 3D scene at up to 60fps

Depending on the application, you can disable pc.app.autoRender (Application | PlayCanvas API Reference) and only render frames if the view or the scene changes.

If used correctly with the right application, it will use less battery, less CPU and less GPU time without any impact to the experience.

Example: PlayCanvas 3D HTML5 Game Engine (line 11 and 200, PlayCanvas | HTML5 Game Engine)

5 Likes

thanks for your reply, this solution sounds great,but i can’t open the website, it shows 403 forbidden.

Oops. Left it as private. It should be accessible now.

1 Like

If the model has animation, this trick will not work ?

For games, it is a little tricky as generally there is something always moving on screen. However, you can still use this feature for things like pause menus, title screens etc which helps a little.

1 Like

You can also consider dropping the frame rate by not rendering or running the update and render calls every other frame. I have a number of things where I gradually scale down the frame rate after things happen and eventually just don’t call at all. This does require monkey patching though.

2 Likes