How to make jumping from a high point feel less floaty

Hey I was making a movement game when I started to feel more floaty when jumping from a large height. I was wondering if there was a way to add a downward force on the player that gets stronger the longer that they are in the air, I already have a way to find if they are in the air or not.

If you use a raycast you can use the distance of the hit point to determine the downwards force. Another option could be to use a timer or the velocity of the rigidbody.

Usually it is enough to simply increase the gravity. You can change the gravity in the project settings. Try doubling it.

I’m curious why the default is -9.8:thinking:

Its the value of gravity on the surface of Earth:

In SI units, this acceleration is expressed in metres per second squared (in symbols, m/s2 or m·s−2) or equivalently in newtons per kilogram (N/kg or N·kg−1). Near Earth’s surface, the acceleration due to gravity, accurate to 2 significant figures, is 9.8 m/s2 (32 ft/s2).

1 Like

so with the raycast method I should just multiply a force by the distance?

I don’t know if you need to multiply the the distance to get a correct force. You need to try to find out if this gives the desired result.

I made an equation to calculate the force and the gravity feels way better than it does at base.

1 Like