How to get value at given array position

I have a function that needs the values stored in an array to work properly. Problem is, it’s currently getting the
array position of the value (i.e. let’s say array[1] = 3 I need the 3, but get the 1). How do I go about checking the data stored at the position, instead of checking the position?

Here’s a little snippet from script to show how I’m trying to use it:

CheckRoll.prototype.getResults = function()
{
    this.results = [1,2,4,5,6];

for(i=0;i<this.results.length;i++)
    {
        if(i >= 1)
        {
            j = i - 1;
        }
        else
        {
            j = null;
        }

if(this.results[j] !== this.results[i] - 1 && this.straight < 4)
        {
            this.straightCount = 1;
        }
        else if(this.results[j] === this.results[i] - 1)
        {
            this.straightCount++;
        }

In the situation I create by making the array 1,2,4,5,6, straghtCount should set to 1 after seeing that results[1] = 2 and results[2] = 4, but it doesn’t because what it’s getting is results[1] === results[2] - 1.

On the first iteration of the loop, you are accessing this.results[null] will give you undesirable behaviour.

In this case, it would be better if you started the i loop at 1 and not 0. That way, i-1 is always going to be 0 or above.

Right, but I need to access all 5 points in the array. The problem stems from the fact that i and j are positions in the array rather than the data that’s at the position. So as I mentioned above, if the results array is results = [1,2,4,5,6]; straightCount should tick up to 1 after checking position 0 and 1 because the values in those locations increase by 1, but when it checks position 1 and 2, it should reset because the values increase by 2. A similar problem would occur if j had a value right away, it needs to be more or less non existent until i has passed the first value in the array.

Basically i = 0 needs to actually be i = 1 and i = 1 needs to be i = 2, which at this point would mean j = 1.

Got it. Instead of checking just i, I need to check results[i].

This is how I would do it:

this.results = [1,2,3,4,5];

var isStraight = true;
    for(var i = 1; i < this.results.length; i++)
    {
        if (this.results[i-1] != this.results[i] - 1) {
            isStraight = false;
            break;
        }
    }

if (isStraight) {
        console.log('Straight');
    } else {
        console.log('Not straight');
    }

EDIT: Redacting entire post I originally had here. I see what you’re doing, but I need to know how long the straight is because there’s two different kinds of straights a player can roll. The method is the same either way, you just cut out some extra steps I took that are probably unnecessary.

In which case:

this.results = [1,2,3,4,5];

var straightCount = 1;
    for(var i = 1; i < this.results.length; i++)
    {
        if (this.results[i-1] != this.results[i] - 1) {
            break;
        } else {
            straightCount += 1;
        }
    }

console.log(straightCount);

Yep, like I said same method just shorter.