Hindi language in game text issues

Hello everyone ,
I am facing a huge issue related to hindi language and I want to fix this asap because we are about to release our app.
So the issue is i am using hindi texts and it is rendering text incorrectly so the text is ,
“try_again”: “फिर प्रयास करें”

and it is rendering like this :

Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 3.38.13 PM

need help asap
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Just to confirm, is the issue that it isn’t going right to left or something else?

If so, are you using the extra code from this project to support RTL languages: Right to left language support | Learn PlayCanvas

Hi @yaustar
so in my locale json key value was saved as
“try_again”: “फिर प्रयास करें”
but in text it is rendering hindi text like in the above mentioned image which is wrong.
We faced the same issue is Unity as well but there was a plugin which managed to render hindi text properly .
And Hindi is LTR language just like english.
For your reference i am using this font

Is Hindu a language there the there’s glyph substitution depending on the word? ie if certain characters are next to each other, a different character is used?

yes that is the case with our issue ,
here is similar issue that people are facing on Ubuntu as well.

I don’t think this is supported in our engine. @slimbuck may know more but if it’s not supported, it’s unlikely to be added before you need to release

From another developer of ours

What font are you using? We’re using Noto Sans - Google Fonts for hi-IN and it’s displaying okay for us as far as I can tell.

Here’s the characters we’ve enabled for that font set based on the words we needed to display:

We have single-purpose fonts to support other locales, e.g. Hind - Google Fonts for mr-IN and Baloo Tammudu 2 - Google Fonts for te-IN

1 Like

I’ve created a new bug report for this: https://github.com/playcanvas/engine/issues/4102

3 Likes

I found a workaround with the Chanakya font https://github.com/playcanvas/engine/issues/4102#issuecomment-1064018340

1 Like

It seems like issue is there since 2019

1 Like