Hex tile map tips

Hi folks, new here and to PlayCanvas. I’m currently testing out it’s capabilities and wanted some advice on how to implement a certain feature.

My game requires a hex tile map, treated as a sort of UI layer to appear over the game world. It therefore needs to be in the game world space, rather than screen space. I need to be able to toggle it’s visibility also.

So is the way forward via mesh generation to build the hex grid in word space? Would styling the look of the thing be done via shaders? Or is there a simpler approach I’m missing.

On an unrelated note, I think I’d read in some forum post that we can use html/css (for UI probs) - is that so?

Thanks for your help

1 Like

That would be the way I would think about doing it. I’ve done a standard tilemap this way here: PlayCanvas 3D HTML5 Game Engine

Depending how many tiles, you could use PlayCanvas sprites with an image of a hex and the batching system for performance.

You can or you can use the PlayCanvas UI system.

Roger that, will use that approach then.

Thanks for the link, will check it out. Like the batching feature, will definitely be batching aggressively!