After more than enough procrastinating, I’m finally buckling down to work on this project.
To summarize, ETA is envisioned as a tool roughly similar in purpose to tools such as Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds. The primary difference is that it will have a much easier learning curve due to a simplified UI, and it will also function in 3D. In other words, it will be a multiplayer 3D grid-based aide for people playing tabletop role-playing games.
By the time it is complete, ETA will include the following functionalities:
- a “Ruler” functionality which will allow the user to click two points on the grid, returning the distance between them from a variety of calculation methods
- an “Initiative tracker” functionality which will use random number generation and a variety of dice rolling methods to decide who goes when, as well as functionality to only allow users to manipulate their token during their own turn
- functionality to let the Game Master place new tokens on the board (representing both Player Characters and Non-Player Characters)
- functionality to let users create new maps/levels with which to play
- multiplayer functionality (with database to match)
I’m using Martin Niehoff’s Customizable Camera Script.
I’m having some trouble figuring out the ruler functionality, and so that’ll likely be something that I’ll be asking for help with. I think I’ll need to modify my Grid Generator script so that whenever the user’s cursor hovers over one of the grid squares, that grid square will light up, thus signifying that the focus is currently on that square. This will be critical to the ruler and token moving functionalities.