ETA for Bundles Refactor #5675

Hi @will,

I have seen that there is an open PR for Asset Bundling: https://github.com/playcanvas/engine/pull/5675

I wanted to ask if there is an approximate ETA for this feature coming to Release.

We currently have the following problem:

• many *.glb files in project
  • customer server randomly refuses to load assets with ERR_HTTP2_SERVER_REFUSED_STREAM
  • we cannot change the SETTINGS_MAX_CONCURRENT_STREAMS in our customer’s Apache/Nginx configuration
  • we increased “Settings > Network > Asset Retries” to 3. Assets are now loaded when required, but there is a visible “pop-in” effect
  • we also tried playing with the “Preload” setting in the asset panel, but due to our project structure this is not really a solution for us as we need almost all assets at the beginning

That’s why PR #5675 sounds like the solution to our problem and I wanted to ask if there is an appriximate ETA :smiley:

Greetings from Germany
FM

We’re hoping to review it this week and release it with the next engine release, soon after.

cc: @slimbuck

1 Like

A short term solution would be to have custom loading that restricts the number of assets being loaded at once like this: https://playcanvas.com/project/1194331/overview/max-download-files

You mention that you need it all at the beginning so I would do something like the following:

• Disable preload on all the assets and for simplicity, tag all of them with ‘preload’
  • Create a scene that handle loading of all the assets and is also loaded first by the app. The loading progress and any thing that you want to do to make it look nice can use assets that are marked to preload
  • Load the assets like I’ve done above in the project where there’s a restriction on the number that can be loading at once
  • Once done, load the actual scene for your app
2 Likes

Thank you very much! Will look into the example project, but we’re probably going to wait for the release :slight_smile:

Hi @yaustar,

just wanted to let you know that I implemented the script and workaround you provided: it works like a charm!

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

3 Likes