Enemy AI coding

can someone help me make a smart-ish AI, so it doesnt just walk straight toward you, but goes along the buildings so it doesn’t get stuck.

Hi @Gavin_Durbin! Unfortunately, this is not easy to achieve with PlayCanvas. For my own game I use sensors (raycasts) around the AI ​​that determine whether an obstacle should be avoided. If there is no obstacle to avoid, you can turn the AI ​​towards the destination. It took me a long time to find the right balance. The system now works fine, but by no means flawless. That is why I am going to develop the system further. I’m curious if anyone on the forum has a better idea for this.

1 Like

back in the early 2000 I’d liked to make maps for unreal. They used pathpoints (little apples) and something like hide- and sniperpoints. The bots walked from pathpoint to pathpoint. Made random decisions at a fork or attak if shot at or spot an enemy. Implemented these in my ai. Quite a simple approach, so my bots are not smart…

2 Likes

There are a couple of path finding libraries out there. Eg https://qiao.github.io/PathFinding.js/visual/ works for 2D but you will have to create the nodes/graph yourself.

1 Like

The pathfinding system can be achieved if you have a tiled terrain, without it the thing become more complicated the only way i can think of is a system using raycasting but head ache come just thinking about it. If the map is tiled you can achieve it with a pathfinding script like in tower defence game by @will in playcanvas projects.

1 Like

thank you, this will help alot

1 Like