Hey people! We just deployed our play canvas project to our own server by uploading the built .zip.
Comparing the build with the editor download shows that much more file weight is downloaded in the build than in the editor. I checked if compression is enabled on our server which it is according to https://www.giftofspeed.com/gzip-test/
Download in editor:
Download in build:
We have set many assets in the project to not preload and instead instantiate them once after the initial loading screen is finished (destroying them after 100ms so loading gets triggered) so the user can already start using the app while the rest of the assets finish loading. In the editor this works just fine but in the build models seem to get downloaded multiple times. You can see the build here.
Hope someone can help!
Edit: It turns out that while GZIP was enabled for the root folder, it was not enabled for each individual .glb file which may have caused the inflated file sizes. We’re investigating this!