Double-sided plane?

Any suggestion as to how one might go about creating a two-sided plane in PlayCanvas? I’ve brought a transparent PNG into the editor and would like to display the reverse on the back-surface, but I can’t find any setting within either the plane or the applied material to set this.

Check out the material properties for the material that you’ve assigned to the plane. http://developer.playcanvas.com/en/user-manual/assets/physical-material/

At the bottom in Other there is a property called Cull mode which determines if front-faces, back-faces or no faces are culled.

1 Like

Brilliant. Thank you. For some reason I simply ignored the whole ‘other’ panel. :slight_smile:

Or in video form:

4 Likes

Remember that normals on a plane, are still facing one side. So if you have light or shadow affecting that plane, it will look totally weird from other side.

1 Like

Yeah, good point @max. If that was an issue, I’d duplicate the plane, and rotate it 180 degrees around the Y axis (keeping backface culling on both planes). I wonder whether a pc.LIGHTING_TWOSIDE type of enum is worth considering as a feature request. What do you think, @Mr_F?

Two-sided normals are possible, doesn’t sound too hard. You actually can currently use a shader chunk to patch it (replacing fragment shader normal calculation with a new one using gl_FrontFacing)

1 Like