Depth buffer in macOS

Does this work for you?
http://playcanvas.github.io/#graphics/post-effects.html

I use Mac and it works fine on my side. Run it, press keys 1, 2, 3 to disable first 3 effects … and in the texture on the right side - I can see the sphere moving around and the buffer is clearing, it does not leave the trail. Do you see the same?

I can see this, the depth buffer looks white in this scene. Also I tried to open it on windows and it’s not fully white.

MACOS:

Windows:

If this works on you mac maybe is some option of the browser or the computer, it tried it on Chrome and Safari.

PD: Sorry for replaying late, I can only test this at work and I’ve been working at other things

This is strange. What version of Mac / OS do you have?
Could you also share the screenshots of https://webglreport.com/ - webgl2 part, as I suspect that’s what you are using.

We’ve tried in this versions MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91) and MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1217).
This is the webgl2 from the MacOS with the Big Sur version:

This is the webgl2 data from MacOs with version Catalina:

I run the same Catalina version, and it all works fine, and has been working fine for last many months. @Leonidas - have you had any issues with the depth on Macs?

I may had, now that you ask. The god rays effect PR I submitted seems to leak light all over the place specifically on desktop Macs (both Safari and Chrome).

I haven’t reported it yet, since I wanted to investigate first, but now that it came up I will try and see if the first pass (depth pass) is where the effect fails.

1 Like

Now we’ve tested it again on safari, chrome and firefox and in the Catalina 10.15.7 version only works on safari and with the Big Sur 11.2.3 version doesn’t work in any of them.

@mvaligursky FYI I’ve tested the post effect that broke only on macOS, the GodRays post effect from the draft PR. Depth buffer access isn’t the issue there, screen depth is reported correctly.

Thanks for that @Leonidas .

Hello, @mvaligursky any update for that?

Martin is currently away this week so hopefully he be able to catch up next week

1 Like

I still cannot reproduce the error on the Mac. I was on latest Catalina, now upgraded to Big Sur 11.5.1, and PlayCanvas Examples displays the depth map in bottom right corner correctly in both cases.

Hi @mvaligursky ,

I have tried 3 iMacs and I could not see the depth map. But with my boss’s Macbook I see it. I’ll give you the specifications of the iMac and the Macbook.

iMacs:

MacBook:

I see this:

Hmm interesting … I only have MacBookPro for testing, where it seems to work.

Could you please capture result of webglreport.com on the iMac? Curious if it exposes less features perhaps.

Hi @mvaligursky,

Capture in iMac:
WebGL 1:

WebGL 2:

Capture in MacBook Pro:
WebGL 1:

WebGL 2:

1 Like

Hmm features and extensions are the same.
It could be worth testing some other webgl applications that access depth buffer to see if they have the same problem as well.

Like which? I’ll try.

Check this Three.js example, you can also select Depth as output to see if everything renders as expected:

https://threejs.org/examples/webgl_postprocessing_sao.html

@Leonidas @mvaligursky
I run Three.js on an iMac and it worked, also worked in MacBook Pro.
iMac:

MacBook:

1 Like

Hello, any update for that?