Coding For Bullets?

Can someone give me an idea how to code bullets for a FPS? I have created a code:

this.fireRateTimer -= fireRate * dt; if(this.fireRateTimer <= 0){ //Enter script to shoot a bullet here. this.fireRateTimer = 1; }

This is a timer that is used to make sure that the bullet is only fired a certain amount of times in a second. The thing is, how do I get it to shoot a bullet? I am using a modified version of the first person controller from the tutorial to create the controls.

The way I did it in this (hold the mouse down to shoot) project was to have a template bullet, then every time you shoot a bullet it would do the following process:

• Clone the template bullet
  • Position the bullet at the barrel of the gun (start position)
  • Calculate the end position (this is the camera world position, but with the Z axis scaled by the gun firing range)
  • Use ‘lookAt(endPosition)’ to face the bullet in the direction of shooting
  • Update the bullet in the update function every frame to move along its local Z axis

My code where I create and position the bullet is here in the shoot and fireLaser functions

The code where I move the bullet every update is in a script which is attached to the bullet object

3 Likes