AR Flooring with PlayCanvas

Hi!

Our family has a small business that sells little houses for gardens or crop fields. We need to create an app that allows us to see the different models of our houses in a garden or crop field.

Our initial idea was to use Unity and Vuforia or EasyAR. That’s fine, although I think PlayCanvas might give me more flexibility.Before starting, do you think this project is feasible with PlayCanvas and WebXR?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jordi

Hi @JTARGUI ,

I expect PlayCanvas would be a great fit for what you need and would likely work great. (You can see the PlayCanvas WebXR mode by loading a glTF model into our model viewer).

The only issue I foresee is that iOS/Safari still doesn’t support WebXR and it’s probably not a platform you will want to ignore.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Jordi,

I already have 2 years of constant work in PlayCanvas environment and think I can help you a bit. As @slimbuck mentioned the WebXR API, especially its AR features, still has the problem of being only available in browsers which work with Android OS mobile devices. As you can see in this Can I Use page “webxr” | Can I use… Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc. So, if you plan to hit IOS users you will need an extra resource like 8th Wall or Zappar 8th Wall Integration | PlayCanvas Developer Site which has its costs, as you can see here 8th Wall | Pricing and Plans - WebAR, AR, WebVR Developer Tools and SDK.

That is the first thing you need to think about, and just to clarify more, that problem is not just of PlayCanvas, all others WebGL platforms have it too. Despite this, PlayCanvas is a great tool that has a lot of resources that can contribute to wonderful results.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, @slimbuck.

It’s working perfectly on Android. Thanks for your answer. Regarding iOS, you are right; it is not ready yet. I will investigate more about it.

Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot, @Nelson_Alves,

Your answer is super. Like @slimbuck said, I cannot discard iOS. 8thWall is really interesting and affordable for non-commercial projects; I will check it out. I like the project. However, it is really expensive for commercial purposes.

I will investigate further to see if I can find something more affordable.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Both of you have helped me a lot.

Jordi.

1 Like

Consider looking at https://launch.variant3d.com/ It allows you to use the WebXR interface and works on iOS through an AppClip which needs no install

1 Like

Thanks a lot, @yaustar.

It’s interesting too. I’ve found a lot of tools related to AR, but the prices are excessive for just one product.Maybe Apple is more interested in developing ARKit than WebAR for Safari. I think that one day, in the distant future, they might integrate it.I will try to find an affordable solution for this project.

8thWall is interesting for non-commercial projects, and I’m considering using it for a cardiology association as part of my conferences on cardiology disorders. Ok! It’s time of googling :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jordi

2 Likes