Just went to work on some AR projects that were working fine yesterday to find they are no longer launching the camera. Doesn’t even bring up a permission request dialog. Just gives me a blank grey screen.
Everything looks normal in the console. Tried on Firefox and Chrome on Linux and Android with the same result. Some older projects I haven’t modified recently are also doing the same thing. Previously published apps are working fine.
Editor = not working
Published = not working
Editor = not working
Published = working
Could there be some change on the servers that might have affect this? It doesn’t seem to be specifically PlayCanvas related as I tried forcing several older versions with the same result.
I just double checked the URL on the mobile and it was using http on this last try. Changed that to https and it’s working through the launch.playcanvas.com links. I’m pretty sure I checked this earlier. History says https for everything else.
So, current status:
Desktop = not working
Mobile = working
(Still not working with the previously zipped version at all.)
Launch tab Mac Chrome Version 86.0.4240.111 (Official Build) (x86_64): Works fine
Launch tab Mac Chrome Version 86.0.4240.183 (Official Build) (x86_64): Works fine
Published build Mac Chrome Version 86.0.4240.183 (Official Build) (x86_64): Works fine
Published build Android Chrome 86.0.4240.110: Works fine
Published build iPhone Safari (iOS version 12.1 (16B92)): Works fine
Permissions seem fine. Nothing blocked in Chrome. Firefox has both playcanv.as and launch.playcanvas.com set to Allow.
It’s very strange that it’s happening on specific hardware, across systems on my main laptop, and on devices that haven’t had any updates applied recently.
Though a Samsung Slate 7 I haven’t used in a while works fine in Firefox and Chrome.
I just thought to look for a webcam tester and found webcamtests.com. The same pattern is emerging there. Where PlayCanvas is failing, webcamtests is unable to access the webcam. So it doesn’t seem to be PlayCanvas itself at fault but there is definitely something weird going on.
First, one of the other laptops I was testing doesn’t even have a webcam (I have a similar model that does so I assumed this one did without even checking).
Secondly, there’s a webcam toggle button on my main laptop (hardware level so it affects all operating systems). Apparently I’ve pressed that accidentally at some point, though it’s a very unlikely Fn + F6 combination to accidentally press.
Maybe this coincided with accidentally accessing everything via http on mobile somehow (though I’m still sure I checked that before that one that I noticed was wrong).
Aaanyway, everything appears to be in order again. Excuse me while I go and hand in my computer licence.