Animated FBX Model Importing with Empty/Invisible Mesh

Hello! I am working on a project that uses a 2D paper character that is within a 3D environment so the character is made out of planes and is rigged and animated in Maya.

When I try to import the character rig into Playcanvas I get an empty mesh with no geometry showing up. I have gotten it to import properly ONCE, and all subsequent tries to import the skinned mesh have failed in the way previously described. I still have the version that imported properly and a version that didn’t import properly in my project. Would love if someone could take a look at it and see what is going on!

Here is the project link with the model attempts imported in them: PlayCanvas | HTML5 Game Engine

I’m pretty new to Playcanvas so if anyone could help me understand the proper import process for skinned meshes from Maya to PlayCanvas that would be extremely helpful! Or if there are anything I am missing.

I imported the second animation in Blender and did an export to FBX again. After that, reimporting into PlayCanvas was fine.

Not sure what Maya settings are different from the Blender default for exporting.

1 Like

Huh ok thanks for doing that, I’ll keep playing around with the export settings in Maya, I’m not familiar with Blender but does it have an FBX export window? If so could you screenshot it so I can see what the export settings are? There might be some similarities in Maya export settings that can give me a clue as to whats going on.

1 Like

OK Good news! I did not figure out why it wasn’t exporting correctly, but I figured out a workaround by mimicking what you did in a way.

Basically when I exported my asset from my Maya work scene I dropped that FBX export back into a new empty Maya scene and exported it again from there and it imported properly!

I’m not sure what it is, I guess there is some thing in my base work Maya scene that is causing the trouble, but this will work as a workaround until I figure that out. Thanks for your help!!

1 Like