3D stereo support

Is there any way to support 3D stereospcopic display of 3D scene through PlayCanvas?

Or it’s the technology that has to be supported by WebGL first and then it can be incorporated into PlayCanvas engine ?

I believe the WebGL would have to support stereoscopic output before PlayCanvas can. But I’m not very familiar with stereo rendering.

Hi @stanislav_stancek !

It very depends on your 3D hardware. Most projectors and monitors that support 3D, do support converting “side by side” (stereoscopic) image into active polarised imagery for your active googles. Same 3D imagery Youtube outputs (for videos with 3D), and BluRay movies, and many more other stuff.

So all you need is to render scene with 2 cameras which are very nearby, and yes you can do it already, look into viewport value for camera to specify area on screen that camera will be rendered to.

Although more low-level like Nvidia 3D Vision is not supported as has to be enabled through driver level.
But taking in account Mozillas efforts towards supporting VR hardware and other cool gadgets we will might have 3D support on hardware level soon as well.

Hi @max

I would like to make my scene viewable on a stereoscopic 3d tablet.
It’s a simple configurator for jewelry - one camera floating around a diamond ring.

Someone I know is selling these auto-stereoscopic devices with android as OS.
He’s asking me if there is a way to show my Playcanvas project as a side-by-side scene.

With Vray in 3dsmax it easy, just the camera and a sterescopic helper to get it going.
Near and far planes adjustment to let the object pop out of the screen.

Is there something new regarding this topic since Aug’14?

Can I use e.g. VR to make a side-by-side image?
Or do I have to set up a scene with 2 cameras as you mentioned in 2014?
How is the performance going down with two cameras?

after 24days:
anyone any idea? Is there someone from the pc team who could say yes or no or maybe? Or are they all on holiday since a month?