Request model conversion to Json format outside of editor?

Greetings!

Just starting exploring Playcanvas as a possible tool for a project of ours.
From what I have seen until now it looks very promising.

One issue I have though, which is important to the project concerns models.
Correct me if I am wrong but, as far as I understand, currently any model format needs to be converted to PlayCanvas’ own JSON format in order to be eligible for loading from the engine, which is (again if i am not mistaken) is a process that is done on your server and through the editor.

My question is this: is it possible to bypass the editor, and request the conversion to the server directly (for example via the REST api)? I haven’t found any example of such although I could have missed them.
If not, what options do I have for loading models in a more dynamic way than them being already loaded in a project (well ok, besides writting my own xyz importer…).

Also, if such a process is not available, would it be considered as a future feature?

Thank you in advance!
Cheers!

1 Like

This is the only way to generate the runtime format at the moment, yes. There is no public route for auto-uploading/converting/downloading assets right now.

One thing to remember is that you’ll want to configure your model’s materials and textures. Although that’s possible in code, it’s quite painful. It’s far, far quicker and easier to do that in the Editor via the Inspector panel.

(I should also point out that any model loaders contributed to the GitHub engine project would be gratefully accepted - glTF would be nice!).

Noted!
And thank you for the answer!