Development workflows?

New to playcanvas, I’m currently evaluating it as a possible platform for my team and wasn’t sure if I should post this here or elsewhere.

Currently there doesn’t seem to be a lot of visibility or info on how traditional game development workflows map to Playcanvas. By traditional I mean having a team of multiple artists/designers/programmers working on a single project with all project assets under source control (art, models, audio, code).

The only mention of using source control in any of the documentation all seems to be “legacy” which doesn’t fill me with much confidence.

1. Is this legacy system currently supported?
  2. If currently supported:
    2a) How long will the feature be maintained and
    2b) Will there be a viable replacement when support for the feature is dropped?
  3. Are traditional team based workflows on the radar for playcanvas?

I couldn’t track down any kind of feature roadmap. Can anyone shed some light on any of these concerns?

1 & 3. Afraid not. It will still work but not actively developed. There is some work being done in this area (see Dave’s post on checkpoints).

The closest that you would get to a feature roadmap are the branches and pull request in GitHub for the engine.

@whydoidoit made an unofficial tool that effectively treats the editor as an editor for the scene and the code is edited ‘offline’ and pushed to the editor via the unofficial API

Really? That’s a huge pity. The editor is a great selling point for productivity but I simply can’t deploy a large team without source control. There’s just far too much risk involved for large scale projects.

I’m aware of whyooidoIt’s post on using the legacy system, but because it’s unsupported and mostly the work of someone who isn’t under any paid obligation to support it, again, risk factor is just too high to commit large scale projects.

Such a shame, wouldn’t bat an eye at 100/mo or more per-seat if it actually supported industry standard workflows as most large scale projects will have ample budget to cover those kind of overheads. Alas, no source control makes it a no go for anything at scale.

Yeah, it’s getting there as per Dave’s post here with checkpoints: Testing Sprites and Checkpoints

Hopefully, the full workflow won’t be too far off now.