Which server is better choice for multiplayer in PlayCanvas

Omg, that amazing. Really…I try to fix the script again and again but still can’t fix that problem.

Thanks @DevilZ for help me to fix the issues and I bother you again and again. :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: Anyway thanks for you kindness and dedicated your precious time to help fix this stupid issue. You so nice man.

At the end it more like a how to use photon engine sdk more than compare which server is better.

1 Like

Hey folks, great to see such good insights here!

@yaustar @DevilZ I was wondering if you had any recommendations for where to host PlayCanvas apps using Photon servers?

I’m working on a project and would like to know if I could go for something like a Github Pages/Netlify frontend, and host the servers through Photon?

I haven’t seen much info around and would love to know more experienced reckons here.

Are you using Photon cloud or Photon dedicated server? The former will not be affected by where you host, only by the subscription plan you choose. The latter would also not be dependent on your frontend, but performance would vary based on your server configuration.

2 Likes

Great observation @DevilZ - I wasn’t aware of this, but from reading the spec, we’ll be going with Photon Cloud as there’s not much development time available to set up a dedicated server.

1 Like

Sounds good! Photon Cloud will be unaffected by your frontend, performance will only depend on the pricing plan you use. Good luck with your project!

1 Like

Thanks, @DevilZ.

Out of curiosity, upon reading the self-hosting documentation for PlayCanvas, they mention of having to run the app from a server like nginx or even a Python server. What have you used in the past, and has proven easiest to deal with?

We thought we could just host the frontend, but now we’re thinking we’ll just have to host an Ubuntu server through AWS/Azure/GCP. But because we don’t have much time to spike this, I’d love to hear your thoughts here.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

I’ve tried using Firebase hosting as well as GH pages. Haven’t tried Netlify. My clients have successfully used AWS to host some apps that I have built for them as well. It all depends on how intensive the app(not including the multiplayer) is - if it’s lightweight, Firebase works well; if it’s complex then go for something like AWS/GCP.

2 Likes