DEPLOYED: WebXR Support for Engine

Hey guys. Since WebXR now out for Chrome, I’ve started working on engine implementation and deprecation of WebVR.

Deployed!

You can use WebXR, and play with it. Feel free to create new project using Starter Kit: VR, which includes most features to get you started with XR (VR and AR).

And check tutorial projects for other bits: https://developer.playcanvas.com/en/tutorials/?tags=vr

For engine only users, there are few new examples as well: https://github.com/playcanvas/engine/tree/master/examples/xr

5 Likes

This is great Moka, I look forward to your success in this endeavor as it would help a lot of people. Are you taking a look at SLAM AR implementation of WebXR. If you know someone working on that I’d like to help and provide feedback as well.

Best regards,

Thank you. The API should be open to AR solutions, as they mature and become more and more accessible. But AR will be after VR + Controllers.

1 Like

Some progress been done to this PR:
Ability to choose XR session type.
Fixed issues with switching between rendering targets (backbuffer of framebuffer for XR).
Fixed issues with canvas resizing.

Tested AR on Android with chrome://flags/#webxr enabled. Surprised to see how well it works already.

3 Likes

For a good while I thought the chair was real :sweat_smile::laughing:

Awesome work Max

1 Like

I’ve just reviewed and approved @moka’s PR:

Does anybody else have any thoughts? Any objections before I merge? Once WebVR support has gone, IT’S GONE! :smile:

This is really great. Hopefully this can be added to the editor’s version in the future. Amazing

Confirmed this works with Oculus Quest.

3 Likes

(In VR mode - camera works, not controllers).

1 Like

Controllers will be implemented later.
Thank you for testing!

Decided not to deprecate WebVR yet. We will do so later down the line when WebXR API is fully implemented: VR/AR, HMD, Controllers, Reference Space, etc.

Tested on a quest here too. Works in immersive/vr mode! :tada:

2 Likes

Excellent. Let’s merge and deploy the new WebXR support next week. :smile:

I don’t know if this will be possible, since I don’t have a VR headset, but testing with a HTC device would be great before merging if someone has one. Just an idea.

Here is WIP PR for Input Sources. That allows to interact with virtual worlds using VR gamepads, mobile screen and other VR compatible input sources.

5 Likes

Looks great @moka!

1 Like

Deployed!

2 Likes