WebXR Ar not working iphone

I can support you if you help me to close all issues.

About simulators:

Thank you so much.

Romeo

@IRONMANROMEO
I understand that this is important to you and I will try to have another shot at this. But please appreciate that this is low priority as:

• As far was I can tell, we are WebXR spec compliant
  • The issues found so far are to do with the Mozilla app, not PlayCanvas
  • WebXR Viewer is not an officially supported Mozilla application

The real fix would be for a new version of WebXR Viewer to be released with bug fixes.

Thanks for what you are doing, I really appreciate it. I donā€™t know what role you play in PlayCanvas, but I donā€™t know if you are realizing it, but in a critical moment like the current one where the distance is the only safety, the VR and above all the AR becomes a key factor. These days I have found that from Chrome on Android it works in a divine way, the anchors are stable, almost like the iOS version and perhaps better than the ArCore anchors. Today I brought a couple of AR objects from PlayCanvas in 3 minutes. At the same time, I was able to try out some WebXR demo applications, discovering that it is also possible on iOS. If you can also cover the iOS part, perhaps helping the developers of the XRViewer app or of the consortium itself, you could earn important market shares. In these days I looked around: RealityComposer (USDZ), Sumerian, Unity and again ViroMedia (which we already use), are excellent alternatives to the iOS version. Being able to write VR and AR only once means being able to become a reference platform. I canā€™t do much.

Iā€™ve compiled a version of XR Viewer on my Mac and with the simulator, I couldnā€™t even get the examples here working: https://immersive-web.github.io/webxr-samples/

Iā€™m out of options now, I personally canā€™t do anything more with this with the resources I have on hand.

Edit: Just found out that iPhone 5S doesnā€™t support ArKit which is what WebXR Viewer uses.

Yes, >= 6S

Yes itā€™s working. But AR camera is not open.

See that srceenshot.

Unfortunately, I canā€™t do anything further and given that all issues found have been to do with WebXR Viewer and not PlayCanvas, it is unlikely I will be doing anything more at this point.

I donā€™t know if you are realizing it, but in a critical moment like the current one where the distance is the only safety, the VR and above all the AR becomes a key factor.

You need to understand that the WebXr device API is still a work in progress from a W3C group: WebXR Device API. Playcanvans canā€™t do more then the API does.

At the same time, I was able to try out some WebXR demo applications, discovering that it is also possible on iOS.

Itā€™s possible but not with WebXR API. Apple is currently not participating to the WebXR. You need an App for that (so itā€™s not on the Web).

I am aware that the iOS side depends on an external application, but it would already be a lot and would allow you to be able to claim to cover augmented reality on both platforms and to us to create AR solutions by writing only once for VR and AR (iOS and Android). Iā€™m sure Apple will do it as soon as it has presented its glasses to the world. Now she is too busy working on this project. Last night I tested Sumerian again: it is light years away from you. Their solution is nowhere near comparable to what you get with WebXR (they synchronize a native WebView from Javascript, itā€™s horribly slow, out of sync).

Hi there.

Iā€™m digging in doc and found XR new objects: XrManager, XrHitTest and others. Comparing with Web XR tutorial I wondering if You are working on new features not announced yet.

In Weekend I will try all of them.

After releasing a SceneForm/ARCore Android app, seem that SceneForm is dead and ArCore is not well at all. Comparing with WebXR tutorials (PlayCanvas and not) WebXR version is better than ArCore original.
Iā€™m frustrated about Google behavior but excited about WebXR features.

I havenā€™t tried it myself but XrHitTest is supported AFAIK: http://playcanvas.github.io/#xr/ar-hit-test.html

From what I understand, the WebXR Viewer app implements polyfills that should bring the navigator.xr object (lowercase) into the browser. This does not happen. I suppose they enclose the WebView in a series of Polyfill imports that should fill the gap. However this does not happen. In the examples that work inside the iOS app https://ios-viewer.webxrexperiments.com I find that the import polyfills are in the code and that instantiate the XRPolyfill class that carries the XR object (upper case) as the basis for the AR. It is not clear to me the reason for all this. Anyway what I would do is try to import the Polyfille classes into PC and replace the xr (lowercase) object with the XR object instanced by the XRPolyfill class and hope that all the rest is standing. Do you think it is a viable road?

AFAIK, the browser already has the polyfill to hook up to ARKit (I think) so you donā€™t need to add the polyfill to your project.

There are probably a few bugs in the polyfill and/or browser that needs to be worked around in the WebXR project (which Iā€™ve done for one bug already) or fixed in the app itself.

The way I would suggest in tackling this is to find an example that does work in the app and compare how WebXR is setup compared to the engine code of PlayCanvas.

Hi @yaustar, my iphone 6s+ showing two popup

1. ā€œXRViewerā€ Would like to access the Camera
  2. Allow usage of device Motion?

@Parvesh_Garg:

my iphone 6s+ showing two popup

1. ā€œXRViewerā€ Would like to access the Camera
  2. Allow usage of device Motion?

Yes, I think itā€™s normal because you need to confirm access to theses sensors/camera. You donā€™t want any app to activate your camera without knowing it, donā€™t you? :wink:

Is it working for you? After giving access, are you able to spawn a grass on the ground?

Sad news from Mozilla https://twitter.com/MortimerGoro/status/1293240479098773504?s=19

1 Like

Native camera is not working.

Nooooooooooo :frowning:

Now WebXR is in development for WebKit which means iOS support could be coming https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=208988

4 Likes