Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token "import" - playcanvas-stable.min.js:6

@robert.ua I had a deeper look into this and it’s not possible to stub out the import function as it’s a reserved keyword.

You will need a custom version of the engine (that you swap out in the published build) and use the promise and fromEntires polyfill, that should be enough for things to work.

Updated the project with the polyfill and custom build of the engine and tested against Chrome v53

https://playcanvas.com/project/1187223/overview/food-run-pre-62

I had to add Object.Entries to the polyfill

/*
    Copyright 2018  Alfredo Mungo <alfredo.mungo@protonmail.ch>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
    of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to
    deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the
    rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or
    sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
    furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
    all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
    IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
    AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
    LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
    FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS
    IN THE SOFTWARE.
*/
if (!Object.fromEntries) {
  Object.defineProperty(Object, 'fromEntries', {
    value(entries) {
      if (!entries || !entries[Symbol.iterator]) { throw new Error('Object.fromEntries() requires a single iterable argument'); }

const o = {};

Object.keys(entries).forEach((key) => {
        const [k, v] = entries[key];

o[k] = v;
      });

return o;
    },
  });
}

// https://github.com/aurelia/polyfills/issues/63
if (!Object.entries)
  Object.entries = function( obj ){
    var ownProps = Object.keys( obj ),
        i = ownProps.length,
        resArray = new Array(i); // preallocate the Array
    while (i--)
      resArray[i] = [ownProps[i], obj[ownProps[i]]];

return resArray;
  };

// Copyright (c) 2014 Taylor Hakes
// Copyright (c) 2014 Forbes Lindesay

// Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
// of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
// in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
// to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
// copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
// furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

// The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
// all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

// THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
// IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
// FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
// AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
// LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
// OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
// THE SOFTWARE.
!function(e,t){"object"==typeof exports&&"undefined"!=typeof module?t():"function"==typeof define&&define.amd?define(t):t()}(0,function(){"use strict";function e(e){var t=this.constructor;return this.then(function(n){return t.resolve(e()).then(function(){return n})},function(n){return t.resolve(e()).then(function(){return t.reject(n)})})}function t(e){return new this(function(t,n){function r(e,n){if(n&&("object"==typeof n||"function"==typeof n)){var f=n.then;if("function"==typeof f)return void f.call(n,function(t){r(e,t)},function(n){o[e]={status:"rejected",reason:n},0==--i&&t(o)})}o[e]={status:"fulfilled",value:n},0==--i&&t(o)}if(!e||"undefined"==typeof e.length)return n(new TypeError(typeof e+" "+e+" is not iterable(cannot read property Symbol(Symbol.iterator))"));var o=Array.prototype.slice.call(e);if(0===o.length)return t([]);for(var i=o.length,f=0;o.length>f;f++)r(f,o[f])})}function n(e,t){this.name="AggregateError",this.errors=e,this.message=t||""}function r(e){var t=this;return new t(function(r,o){if(!e||"undefined"==typeof e.length)return o(new TypeError("Promise.any accepts an array"));var i=Array.prototype.slice.call(e);if(0===i.length)return o();for(var f=[],u=0;i.length>u;u++)try{t.resolve(i[u]).then(r)["catch"](function(e){f.push(e),f.length===i.length&&o(new n(f,"All promises were rejected"))})}catch(c){o(c)}})}function o(e){return!(!e||"undefined"==typeof e.length)}function i(){}function f(e){if(!(this instanceof f))throw new TypeError("Promises must be constructed via new");if("function"!=typeof e)throw new TypeError("not a function");this._state=0,this._handled=!1,this._value=undefined,this._deferreds=[],s(e,this)}function u(e,t){for(;3===e._state;)e=e._value;0!==e._state?(e._handled=!0,f._immediateFn(function(){var n=1===e._state?t.onFulfilled:t.onRejected;if(null!==n){var r;try{r=n(e._value)}catch(o){return void a(t.promise,o)}c(t.promise,r)}else(1===e._state?c:a)(t.promise,e._value)})):e._deferreds.push(t)}function c(e,t){try{if(t===e)throw new TypeError("A promise cannot be resolved with itself.");if(t&&("object"==typeof t||"function"==typeof t)){var n=t.then;if(t instanceof f)return e._state=3,e._value=t,void l(e);if("function"==typeof n)return void s(function(e,t){return function(){e.apply(t,arguments)}}(n,t),e)}e._state=1,e._value=t,l(e)}catch(r){a(e,r)}}function a(e,t){e._state=2,e._value=t,l(e)}function l(e){2===e._state&&0===e._deferreds.length&&f._immediateFn(function(){e._handled||f._unhandledRejectionFn(e._value)});for(var t=0,n=e._deferreds.length;n>t;t++)u(e,e._deferreds[t]);e._deferreds=null}function s(e,t){var n=!1;try{e(function(e){n||(n=!0,c(t,e))},function(e){n||(n=!0,a(t,e))})}catch(r){if(n)return;n=!0,a(t,r)}}n.prototype=Error.prototype;var d=setTimeout;f.prototype["catch"]=function(e){return this.then(null,e)},f.prototype.then=function(e,t){var n=new this.constructor(i);return u(this,new function(e,t,n){this.onFulfilled="function"==typeof e?e:null,this.onRejected="function"==typeof t?t:null,this.promise=n}(e,t,n)),n},f.prototype["finally"]=e,f.all=function(e){return new f(function(t,n){function r(e,o){try{if(o&&("object"==typeof o||"function"==typeof o)){var u=o.then;if("function"==typeof u)return void u.call(o,function(t){r(e,t)},n)}i[e]=o,0==--f&&t(i)}catch(c){n(c)}}if(!o(e))return n(new TypeError("Promise.all accepts an array"));var i=Array.prototype.slice.call(e);if(0===i.length)return t([]);for(var f=i.length,u=0;i.length>u;u++)r(u,i[u])})},f.any=r,f.allSettled=t,f.resolve=function(e){return e&&"object"==typeof e&&e.constructor===f?e:new f(function(t){t(e)})},f.reject=function(e){return new f(function(t,n){n(e)})},f.race=function(e){return new f(function(t,n){if(!o(e))return n(new TypeError("Promise.race accepts an array"));for(var r=0,i=e.length;i>r;r++)f.resolve(e[r]).then(t,n)})},f._immediateFn="function"==typeof setImmediate&&function(e){setImmediate(e)}||function(e){d(e,0)},f._unhandledRejectionFn=function(e){void 0!==console&&console&&console.warn("Possible Unhandled Promise Rejection:",e)};var p=function(){if("undefined"!=typeof self)return self;if("undefined"!=typeof window)return window;if("undefined"!=typeof global)return global;throw Error("unable to locate global object")}();"function"!=typeof p.Promise?p.Promise=f:(p.Promise.prototype["finally"]||(p.Promise.prototype["finally"]=e),p.Promise.allSettled||(p.Promise.allSettled=t),p.Promise.any||(p.Promise.any=r))});
1 Like

Great investigation @yaustar !

Hey @robert.ua! We haven’t forgot about this, we’re currently weighing up some options. Quick question; Do you tend to run the launch page on the TV with this error, or do you export first and then test?

Export to Office Crosser - PLAYCANVAS

Now, with the custom polyfill script from @yaustar, it works on versions after 62. And to run and check on earlier ones as well, I export the zip archive and upload it to my own host.

Accordingly, now, as a temporary solution, I am using the version of the engine in which I have removed the ‘import’ keywords as I was also advised above.

If we go back to where it started:

If the version is below 63 - the boot screen did not appear and an import error appeared, if from 63 to 73 - there were no errors, but the boot screen hangs at 0%

You still need some polyfills, just no need for a custom engine. See Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token "import" - playcanvas-stable.min.js:6 - #17 by yaustar

Is it about some update?

Because of

I don’t understand what you mean here? It’s possible to run PlayCanvas games on Chrome 63+ with just polyfills. No custom build of the engine needed

Chrome 62 and below needed a custom engine because the import keyword was not supported "import" | Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc

If there is still some confusion, can you fully re-ask the question please?

Here I was just answering in general terms about the current situation. Since I want to keep the browser version as low as possible, I use both a polyfill and a custom version of the engine on my own host.

When you wrote today that you can use only polyfill,

I thought that it was together with the support of old versions - so I asked (as turned out - not).
Thank you again)

Now I’m trying to use basis, how can I judge it due to the unavailability of modules on older versions

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'ready' of null

For now I will use legacy compression

I tested this on version 60 of Chrome and got a different error to the one you reported:

What version of Chrome were you testing against?

Either way, I think you are best off using Legacy texture compression as even if we had Basis WASM without SIMD instructions, it would be quite slow to transcode on the devices you are testing on.

1 Like

Platform: webOS TV 4.x, 2018~2019, Chromium 53

Yes, legacy compression does cover my needs, thanks for clarifying that basis compression would not be an optimal solution even without errors.

Just to let you know @robert.ua, this issue has now been fixed

How do I understand this exactly in the current version of the dev branch (not released)? Because now using 1.68.2 (Release Candidate) - I still get an error with “import”.

@robert.ua The fix will be delivered in Engine v1.69.0 which should be released within the next week. It will then take approximately 1 more week to be promoted to the Editor.

1 Like