[SOLVED] GIF Motion Texture Support?

see look to the right of this screenshot i want to turn that into a material that can be used as a texture in 3d models

well its a texture atlas not a sprite BUT i’m still in need of an animated material that ISN’T a scrolling texture

Here is a very quick example: https://playcanvas.com/editor/scene/1305690

1 Like

will it work if i copy and paste the script

Depends on the use case. You may have to customise it for your usage.

i am in NEED of an animated model but i dont know how to do that i made a texture atlas sprite thingy but i need that into a material that can be used please help and I DON’T WANT A SCROLLING TEXTURE

i dont know how to customize it ugh this is stressful im terrible at coding

can you just add it to my game ill add you i suck at everything so Oh i cant add you so UGHH this is annoying

I’m afraid I don’t have the bandwidth to help with any projects

ughh all this for just something that could be easily fixed with gif/apng support why isnt this on your roadmap it is a serious problem in my opinion it makes this editor way harder to use and way less accessible

If we had a bigger demand for the feature, then yes we would consider it for the roadmap. Given the number of users on the platform, the demand is very small and they are able to work around it with the script above or a variation of it.

We are very happy to take contributions to the engine on GitHub as it’s completely open source if you would like to tackle it

Even large engines with MUCH bigger teams like Unity3d don’t support GIFs

1 Like

yeah and that’s what makes these engines so hard to use it does not support anything and if one person has a problem then you don’t care about it until the entire community posts about it

and what by mean by contributions you want me to add the support myself? i guess

so i cant make the engine better myself…?? ooh

With the engine being open source, anyone can take the source code and make their own engine or contribute to ours. Eg LeXXik added support for more features on the physics system: https://github.com/playcanvas/engine/pull/3682

ooh my own engine? helping you guys hmmm that sound great

i have no idea how to use github

For running a gif without making a texture. You will have to use a little html. I have achived it by using the libgif.js library.

Library Link:

Just make the SuperGif. Copy the texture from it on to the texture(repeatedly). It is quite expensive operation. But saves me the hassle of making sprite sheet. If you can afford a heavy operation in your application then you could use it.

The library give quite a lot of control over gif.

1 Like

Mp4 supports transparency? I know that webm supports transparency, but mobile Safari doesn’t support webm. Is there a way to play videos with transparency on mobile Safari? If there is, please let me know how. I thought it wasn’t possible. I thought I could only play videos with transparency using the webm format, which is supported on most browsers except mobile Safari.

I created a github feature request for gif support. People who want this feature, give it a like and comment!

1 Like

Hi @Marks,

I think it’s possible with mp4s, not sure though about browser compatibility.

In this thread a user had a similar issue which was solved and at the bottom there is an example project with the solution:

1 Like